What's new

A/C damaged by Power failure? (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Since a few minutes, my portable indoor AC has been making these weird noises:
http://jetpaper.com/acnoise.wav

In the past few days, the power has been going off for fractions of seconds occasionaly, it made the AC make a weord nosie during the fration of a second, but it was running fine for 2-3 days after that until now. It is making those noises and the lights in my room dim along with the noises so I turned it off (luckily it's not too hot outside tonight).

Anyway, I bought it at costco and I'm afraid I don't get a the manufacturer's waranty because they aren't an authorized reseller, did I dream this? I hope so.

Also, will a cheap UPS prevent future malfunctions like this or does it need one of those expensive UPS's that make a perfect sinewave?

Thanks

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
You'll need a HUGE ass UPS to power an ac unit, otherwise it's going to kill the battery and just beep at you, particularly on startup, the compressor draws a lot of current.

it's probably just coincidence, but if the power flickered on and off a bunch of times while the compressor was running, shutting it off and starting it back up several times quickly, it'll kill it in short order :frowning:
kinda sounds like it's having a hard time starting up, does it start after a few tries? is it REALLY hot there or anything?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I've always been told that Costco allows you to return anything at anytime as long as you have the receipt.

Has that changed??

Brent

Sacha_C

Second Unit
It isnt hot in here, it starts up fine, but after running for 2-3 minutes it starts making those noises.

Is there anything I can do to protect it against power fluctuations? Even though a UPS might no give enough power to start it, can't it at least supply 1050 watts for the fraction of a second power goes out? And in case of a long powerfailure, could it just let it run for the few seconds the batteries would last and then cut the power from 120 to 0 volts so there is no low voltages to damage it?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks