What's new

A Better Tomorrow 4K remastered edition released (Hong Kong version) (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Wow - hadn't seen any previous announcements of this

http://www.yesasia.com/global/a-bet...k-ultra-hd-hong/1050644250-0-0-0-en/info.html

The price is pretty good too. Have ordered this but do not yet have a 4K system installed, as I'm waiting for an Oppo player to be released in the future. However, it should be possible to get some idea from the blu-ray, whether we at last have a decent John Woo restoration. What many fans are hoping for, of course, are future stellar 4K restorations of The Killer and Hard Boiled! I consider the Criterion laserdisc release of The Killer way back in 1993 as probably the single best purchase I have ever made, despite the whopping $125 retail price + expensive DHL shipping to Norway. It was my introduction to Asian cinema outside of Japanese cinema and the outrageous action scenes were like nothing I had ever seen previously

http://www.aheroneverdies.com/2012/01/cool-crap-killer-criterion-laserdisc.html

No version I have purchased since on DVD or blu-ray has had a decent master. Fingers crossed!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kevin:

Please post a review when you get it. I have been waiting for a decent blu-ray of this .

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I've just screened the blu-ray and have to say the transfer is really nice. I was initially a bit disappointed because I thought the disc would include a 4K UHD blu ray disc but there is only a standard 1080p blu-ray, region "A"-locked included (like the Sony "mastered in 4K"-discs, that came out in 2011/2012). Also, the disc is only a single-layered 25G blu-ray. It really looks far better than any video version I've owned before (I don't own the previous HK blu-ray). Until Criterion pick this up, it'll remain the definitive HD version. Caps-A-Holic have also published their screenshots, which give a good idea of the level of detail that now is visible.

http://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=2400

Now, if only The Killer and Hard Boiled - which rate higher - could get the same treatment...

moe green

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
I was a huge fan of Hong Kong films
in the 80's and early 90's and was wondering if these classics (Jackie Chan, John Woo etc..) have ever got a definitive Blu-ray release with English subtitles anywhere.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Short answer: No. And I've owned enough to know. Given the sorry state of film preservation, elements, etc. there, "decent" is about the best that can be hoped for. This one would appear to be at the top end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks