What's new

950 Dilemma...help me help YOU. (1 Viewer)

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
hmmmm ... mini HTF Meet in Manchester this weekend? :)
Evan,
I'll send you a PM with my phone numbers after I post this. I'd love to see & hear the Anthem if you really wouldn't mind.
Once my driveway is paved the builder stops making such a mess in my yard and around the house, I'll have to have you over to see my humble HT ... if you'd like to, that is. :)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Damn, I wish I wasnt going to Myrtle Beach this next week, Getting a tan, drinking Coronas, otherwise I would be crashing at Evan's house in glorious Manchester, CT, right off I-84. Wait a minute.....

Just kidding, Evan, but i am anxiously awaiting your opinion on the Anthem 20 vs the Outlaw 950. I am on the waiting list for the Outlaw, but I can get a new Anthem from a special source for about $1800, so I am very dependant on this audition to sway me either way.

J

John Morris

I can get a new Anthem from a special source for about $1800
Chung! Quickly regain your senses, buy the Anthem, don't open the box, and sell that sucker for $2500. That way, the 950 will only cost you $200! Dang, if you don't want the $1800 brand new Anthem, I'll take it. LMK!

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I know, it seems like a hell of a deal, and it depends on how the outlaw compares to the Anthem. I have a dealer with whom I can get really great prices, but sometimes my budget doesnt let me get what I want ( I know I'm not alone). Besides, I am only going to use the Outlaw/Anthem for movies and 5-channel music, as I have a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 on the way, so DPLII is very important, and a $300 upgrade is not very enticing. I think that the Anthem is more geared towards people that want it as an all in one unit, for music and movies, and it has the great dacs and almost infinite customization options for this, but I want only something that will incredible with movies and at the same time do well with 5-channel music (mostly for parties), as all my critical 2-channel listening will be done with the Sonic Frontiers. If I do not decide to get the Anthem, though, I will let you know, Merc.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to this audition.

I was just watching Moulin Rouge on DTS and realized that there will be one feature I will miss tremendously if I get rid of the Anthem and that is the group audio delay feature. As most of you know, using the DTS source on Moulin Rouge, there is a slight lip sync problem where the actors voices are slightly off on the audio (DD 5.1 is fine however). Seeing I love the DTS version, the Anthem allows me to apply a 85ms delay on the sound, thereby creating a perfect sync with the voices.

I never thought I would use this feature until I bought that disk. Might be something I would miss down the road if I kept the Outlaw, (or got some kind of external line doubler or video scaler), but for now it's only a minor issue.

Paul Pan

Auditioning
As long as you're auditioning ... why not go hog wild and throw a 1066 into the mix while you're at it?! Legairre?

Can't wait to read about the results ..

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Paul,
I would love to throw my 1066 in the mix. There's only one problem. I've bought and paid for a silver and black 1066. My dealer says it won't be in until mid June. So I'm a 1066 owner. I'm just not a 1066 possessor. :angry:

Paul Pan

Auditioning
Legairre -

Ouch. Thats too bad - I've felt your pain. I waited many moons for my AVM20. But it was well worth the wait as I'm sure your 1066 will be. Stay strong!

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Paul,
Thanks for your support, but it gets worse. We've sold our house and the new one won't be ready until early July. So even after we move in I have to finish the room that will be the theater. So I probably won't have a theater for a while. I took my theater apart over the weekend and promised my old Denon 3300 receiver to my brother, who's picking it up next week.:frowning:
Even though I won't be able to use my 1066. I figured I might as well get it so when the room is ready it's here and waiting. I'm guessing that the silver and blacks will be hard to come by, so at least I'll have mine even if I can't use it. I just didn't want to get caught on the waiting list.
It's going to be a long couple of months. :frowning:

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Steve,

I just keep telling myself that at least I'll get to build my HT room from scratch and have a true dedicated HT. If I keep telling myself this long enough maybe I'll forget I don't have an HT for a while.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Evan,

I was just watching Moulin Rouge on DTS and realized that there will be one feature I will miss tremendously if I get rid of the Anthem and that is the group audio delay feature. As most of you know, using the DTS source on Moulin Rouge, there is a slight lip sync problem where the actors voices are slightly off on the audio (DD 5.1 is fine however). Seeing I love the DTS version, the Anthem allows me to apply a 85ms delay on the sound, thereby creating a perfect sync with the voices.
I'm curious about this. I thought the lip sync problem on this title was apparent only in certain spots in the movie, so that a global group delay setting would offset the "in-sync" parts of the DTS soundtrack. I actually returned the DVD before playing it due to these reports, so I have no first hand knowledge of the problem.

Doug

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Doug, I will tell you that the Moulin Rouge problem has me stumped.

Sometimes, the sync problem is so obvious it's glaring and needs the full 85ms delay to correctly sync. Other times it appears the full delay is not needed and I only have to apply a 40ms or so delay to correct the problem. There have been times that I haven't even put a sync on and it appears to be fine. I wonder if there are two different video layers and that if my player sometimes pulls the wrong one, creating the problem. After reading the huge Moulin Rouge DTS thread over in Software, I'm convinced this is a disk problem only and it goes throughout the entire movie...not just certain parts. It has come to the attention of some that it is far more obvious during the musical parts however, because there are more closeups...but does remain during the other parts. In fact, the first 2-3 times I watched this movie on DTS, I didn't notice the problem..but when my roommate watched it the other day, it was so obvious that I would definately have noticed it the previous times. I wish I could say it was a consistent occurance, but knowing that I can correct for any anomoly is hugely reassuring. Knowing you have the Anthem and it has this feature, I would buy the disk with all confidence. It's a great one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks