What's new

80's music videos on DVD :) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Since it's been mentioned, I gotta say that you WON'T want "I Want My DVD"- I have vol. 2 and it's unbelievably awful. All the videos look like they were taken from a VHS tape- the sound is mono and the beginning and end of a lot of them are cut off.
100% agreement with that. I think these two are the closest things in my collection to "bootlegs"; I doubt that the people who put out these discs had real rights to the videos themselves. They maybe had "rights" to something called That Teen Show, a little-known series (not even sure if it's in the USA - IMDB doesn't list it) that ran music videos among other things, and had a "Best of the 80's" thing that is represented on these DVDs.

Jesse's right, the video looks like bad VHS quality (there are noticable tracking problems throughout), and the cover art looks printed from a bubblejet and transferred to glossy paper.

I picked these up at FYE for $5.99 each before finding out what a piece of crap they are. Still, there are few music videos on there that I haven't found anywhere else, so I've kept them. But if I had a chance to do it all over again, I wouldn't pay more than $2-$3 for them.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Since it's been mentioned, I gotta say that you WON'T want "I Want My DVD"- I have vol. 2 and it's unbelievably awful. All the videos look like they were taken from a VHS tape- the sound is mono and the beginning and end of a lot of them are cut off. I've watched it a few times just to marvel at how awful it is
True. But when they came out, I don't care how much it cost or how bad the quality, it had the video for J. Geils Band's CENTERFOLD on it. That is all the mattered. Who cares how bad the quality is and that the end is cut off (don't even finish the whistle part), having it on DVD was great. But one of the Big Hits compilation DVDs has since put out a better DVD copy of it. They also put out FREEZE FRAME on another DVD, although that video's sound isn't fully synced up. Like a second off.

And did you notice how the Rod Steward YOUNG HEARTS video was all zoomed in? Like there was an MTV logo in the bottom corner that they were trying to avoid showing. Compare it with the version on the Rod Stewart Storytelling DVD.

I have to say, all my 80's music video DVDs are some of my most watched discs.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
New moon on monday ! with a firedance through the night !! I saved a cold day , with a lonely satellite ! Man, this discussion made me whip out the old duran duran cds !:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
I have to ask again , is the duran duran dvd coming to region 1 usa as well ?
Yes, it is.

Not sure on the date, but it should come out around the time of the R2 release.

Oh and that Korean DVD is most likely a bootleg. If you check out the member listing for the band on the DVD cover, you will most certainly notice an absence of a couple of Taylors and a LeBon.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I have to admit, there were a number of good music video compilations I picked up during the 80's that I wouldn't mind seeing on DVD:

- Huey Lewis and the News: The Heart of Rock and Roll
- Huey Lewis and the News Live in Concert
- Lionel Richie: All Night Long (about 5 or 6 different videos)
- Lionel Richie: The Making of Dancing on the Ceiling
- We Are the World: The Story Behind the Song (the 1-hour HBO telecast narrated by Jane Fonda, not the 30-minute edited version)
- Prince and the Revolution Live (from 1985): This was one really intense concert!
- Under the Cherry Moon: Okay, this wasn't so much a music video as it was a movie, but I wouldn't mind seeing this underrated film on DVD. Some good music from Prince on this one.
- Wham! The Video: a compilation of 8 or 9 different music videos
- Wham! in China: Foreign Skies: 60-minute concert film where they traveled to China
- Wham! The Final: five different music videos
- George Michael: Faith: This one had all the videos from his hit album "Faith" except for "Kissing a Fool".

And of course, the big musical event from the 1980's: Live Aid!

Seeing some of these 80's acts listed here brings back to mind all of these titles I have on tape in my collection. Let's bring these bad boys on! :)

Lafe F

Second Unit
Blondie - Greatest Video Hits
The Cult - Pure Cult
David Bowie: Best of Bowie
Michael Jackson - History
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Playback
Van Halen - Video Hits
Billy Joel - The Essential Video Collection
Eurythmics - Greatest Hits
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams Are Made of This

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
If you want to see a movie that gives a nice respect to duran durans the relex , go see american pie 3 american wedding !! I wont say anymore not to spoil it for those who havent seen the movie yet.;)

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Just recieved some cool info. Human League are releasing a Best of DVD on region 2 at the end of September. Features all there music videos plus some classic Top of The Pops performances from 1981 and Jools Holland presents performances from 1995. Also includes a new interview with the band filmed in July this year.
"You where working as a waitress in a cocktail bar when I met you" :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
Hello everybody,

For information on Music DVD Video from the 80's check this link.

www.melodicrock.com

Very good site for info on CD & DVD

I can't wait for the release of Journey (With Steve Perry)

Enjoy,

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
From www.melodicrock.com

"KALODNER CONFIRMS FIRST PLANNED JOURNEY DVD:
Sony's John Kalodner has confirmed the release of a Journey DVD for later this year (2003). This initial DVD will be a collection of their MTV videos, approximately fifteen, from 1978 - 1998. Next up is the possibility of some concert DVDs featuring Steve Perry and the band. Full details of the Clips DVD are expected shortly.
Without pre-emptying the DVDs contents, I know of clips for the tracks - After The Fall, Anyway You Want It, Chain Reaction, Don't Stop Believin', Faithfully, I'll Be Alright Without You, Just The Same Way, Lights, Send Her My Love, Lovin' You Is Easy, Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin', Rubicon, Separate Ways, Too Late, Wheel In The Sky, Who's Crying Now and Why Can't This Night Go On Forever."

Can't wait.

Also from the site.

"HALL & OATES ON DVD:
A Hall And Oates DVD of the A&E Live By Request footage is scheduled for release on November 4th. The DVD will have the show, plus the 5 songs that didn't air. It will also have exclusive interviews and other bonus material. A release is only planned for North America at this stage."

Enjoy.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I have these on VHS, and would buy them on DVD:

Kate Bush - The Whole Story
Kate Bush - The Sensual World: The Videos
Devo - We're All Devo
New Order - Substance
Pet Shop Boys - Performance
Pet Shop Boys - Various
Pet Shop Boys - Videography

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Journey!

THANK YOU, GOD!

Also, fans of 80's music videos on DVD should HURRY to Best Buy for the new Cher - Farewell Tour DVD. Getting it at Best Buy means you get a free bonus DVD with 80's music videos for "Heart of Stone", "We All Sleep Alone", and "If I Could Turn Back Time" (the classic one on the battleship U.S.S. Missouri). The latter is the original version on the bonus disc...the main DVD comes with the bastardized 2003 version that CGI's in lots of fireworks and explosions/smoke for "gun firing" on the big cannons, etc. Go get the bonus disc at Best Buy...and bring along a K-Mart ad. K-Mart is selling the non-bonus version for $11.99, and unless you get an uptight person who insists "they aren't the same thing", then BB ought to match K-Mart's price. I got the price matched at BB, anyway. :D

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
David, i have their greatest hits album and many others, and i must say its nearly identical to the greatest hits cd coverart. So that will probably be the final coverart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks