What's new

"Light of Day", directed by Paul Schrader (1987) - still no Region 1 DVD/Blu release (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I just recently watched "Light of Day" for the first time ever. Excellent film; great story, and good '80's hard rock soundtrack.

I'm not a huge MJF fan, but Joan Jett ,Gena Rowlands - as well as many of the supporting actors - were fantastic. JJ seemed like she wasn't even acting but was basically playing herself, which was perfect because her persona really fit the role.

Great rock & roll songs, especially the original?! songs like "Light of Day", which opened & closed the film.

The scene towards the end - when Patty (JJ) spoke to her mother (Rowlands) at the hospital - was quite poignant.

It would be great see this with better picture quality/sound on Region 1 DVD/Blu some day, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. IMHO, one of the reasons (if not the only reason) this hasn't hit modern home video is because of the licensing rights involving the music in the film. There are a plethora of artists featured here re: many of the cover songs played by JJ's band, as well as The Fabulous Thunderbirds sequence, etc.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Bumping this thread because there's still no Light of Day Region 1 DVD/Blu release; AFAIC this did hit VHS & possibly LD back in the day, but that's it.

IMHO this film deserves to be on the Criterion label - I think they would do a great job with a release like this. That being said, due to the almost certain pop/rock music licensing issues that are keeping this from being released - we may never see this on DVD/Blu.

Sure, I know this is available via streaming - and AFAIK there's a decent stream of this on Youtube. However, that's obviously not the same as physical media.

Here's the trailer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks