What's new

8/5: Casablanca 2-Disc SE w/New Footage! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Video Business magazine has an article up that states:

Warner Home Video will celebrate the 60th anniversary of an American classic when it releases a two-disc special edition DVD of Casablanca on Aug. 5 with 10 minutes of recently discovered deleted scenes and outtakes.

..."We were pleased that recent advances in digital technology allowed us to revisit the early restoration work," said Ned Price, VP of technical operations mastering for Warner Bros.

...has an SRP of $26.98.

Other new extras on the set are two audio commentary tracks from movie critic Roger Ebert and film historian Rudy Behlmer, and the featurette "The Children Remember," which includes memories from son Stephen Bogart and Bergman daughters Pia Lindstrom and Isabella Rossellini.

Other supplements on the DVD that have been available in previous video incarnations include two documentaries hosted by actress Lauren Bacall, one-time wife of Bogart: You Must Remember This: The Making of Casablanca and Bacall on Bogart; a "Screen Guild Players Radio Production" with the film's stars; scoring session outtakes; and an introduction by Bacall.
Those are the highlights pertinent to the DVD release. Please see the article for the complete text.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Great News.

At last one of the greatest films of all time gets its just due treatment on this format.

I certainly cannot wait.

"Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now... Here's looking at you kid. "

Ray

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Maybe they have the alternate ending where Rick and the Captain get on the plane together instead of Ilsa and Victor! :D

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
A part of the Bugs Bunny cartoon was already on the previous dvd, and I'm glad they seem to be including it completely this time. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
As a bit of trivia, as far as I know, "Carrotblanca", the 1995 cartoon, has not yet been released on home video in the US in stereo. The VHS tape had mono sound even though there was a Dolby Stereo logo on the film's credits.

Regards,

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I think the original DVD is great (not only that, but still a decent effort for 1997), but it's great to see Warner make an even more packed edition.

Ebert's commentaries for Dark City and Citizen Kane are highly enjoyable, as is Behlmer's for Criterion's Notorious. Their commentaries for Casablanca ought to be just as entertaining.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
But there's no DTS for the commentary tracks. Damn you Warner!

-Reagan

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
As a bit of trivia, as far as I know, "Carrotblanca", the 1995 cartoon, has not yet been released on home video in the US in stereo. The VHS tape had mono sound even though there was a Dolby Stereo logo on the film's credits.
Ken I haven't seen the cartoon, but a lot of films have a "Dolby System" logo instead of Dolby Stereo. Not saying this is the case, however.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
So, is this really a brand new restoration or is this the same transfer as the previous release (which also stated it was restored)?

Dan

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I can't believe it. I have re-buy ANOTHER darned disc. I don't understand how the economy isn't zooming along on my DVD purchases alone!

ARG!

I may as well just sign my paycheck over to the studios.

MC

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
This is one of my favorite movies. I think the original DVD is very good but there are enough new extras for me to justify a repurchase.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Oh, Man! I cannot WAIT for this DVD. Dave, you need to warn us before you announce such news so we can put on our rubber pants first (or take them off to dance around naked, as the case may be). :D

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Ken I haven't seen the cartoon, but a lot of films have a "Dolby System" logo instead of Dolby Stereo. Not saying this is the case, however.
This one was definitely "dolby stereo", and it was 1995, after all. Carrotblanca was released on tape with a bunch of classic shorts that were mono, so I sort of wondered if the two channels mistakenly got combined in the mastering process somehow.

Anyway, I though I was perfectly content with the current Casablanca disc until WB announced this one. Boy am I ever a sucker.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks