What's new

8/5: Casablanca 2-Disc SE w/New Footage! (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Dan:

The original DVD seemed to be from the restoration Turner already did. I think it's safe to imply that the new DVD would use a further restored transfer (to be honest, the only problems are a lighter contrast and two tears in the old transfer) and would be perfected.

Video transfering has come a long way in 6 years, so they'll be able to use the excellent film elements AND make it into an up-to-date transfer.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I seem to remember reading that the sequence in Ricks office was very dark and contrasty because they did not have decent elements. Perhaps they have found a better source or have done some more digital work. An interesting bit of trivia. Dooley Wilson, who sang "As Time Goes By" was asked by his agent if he would like to do some night club work. His agent thought he played the piano as well as sang. He did not (play the piano) so they dropped the idea.

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
This may take this topic off on a tangent, but I have heard rumors of a similar two disc SE of another classic film "It's a Wonderful Life." I already have this on DVD, but would probably bite on the double dip if they dug up additional footage etc. Anyone seen anything official?

Incidentally, this Casablanca DVD will definitely be on my Santa list this year! (along with Indy Jones, The Sure Thing, Bend in the River...)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Way cool. I was nearly about to buy this disc (tired of doing the SE Waiting Game) and lookie here! :)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
As for "double-dipping," and complaints about repurchasing, this is what eBay is for.

I often sell my "first version" DVDs on eBay to a usually more than happy buyer. In fact, upon first hearing this rumor a few weeks ago, I sold my first copy to a pal who really doesn't care about extras.

Glad to see Warner Bros offering this newer version.

Cool!

Mark

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes !!!

The original DVD was far from bad, but this looks wonderful, and an Ebert commentary as well.

I am moderately pleased. ;)

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
The original version was one of my first DVD purchases. This definitely sounds like a worthy upgrade.

It seems that any movie that's 60 years old and considered a classic should have plenty of supplemental material for a second disc. I applaud Warner Brother's efforts on this and their other upcoming classic two-disc releases. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sounds great. The Ebert commentary is a nice bonus as id the Carrotblanca cartoon and the 10 minutes of new footage have me interested. I thought deleted scenes, etc would have been destroyed back then. Guess I was wrong. :D The inclusion of an episode of the tv show also surprised me.

And the cover looks pretty classy.

http://www.dvdexclusive.com/HTMLNews/NewsCasablanca.htm

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The cover art reminds me of the colorized version of the film! Why are studios afraid of the truth about black and white films. (Or is it the consumer who can't accept the fact?) I hope there is no surround sound track with bogus 5.1 music and sound effects.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Time to finally put my Criterion LD to rest.

BTW, check out the book "Making of Casablanca" AKA "Round Up The Usual Suspects". One of the best "making of" books written.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I would recommend checking out the book "Casablanca: As Times Goes by: 50th Anniversary Commemorative." I think it is also one of the best "making of" books written. A lot of info and a ton of BTS photos, posters, etc...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Peter Kline...

That cover art is based on one of the original posters. The original DVD used the poster art from one of the Turner re-releases into theaters.

Even for B&W films, they'd have full color posters. Check out the DVD covers for Arsenic and Old Lace, The Maltese Falcon (Warner version), and The Thin Man. Those are all original posters.

It's kind of ironic that the colorized VHS would feature the original poster artwork while the B&W tape would have the Turner artwork.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

In the Warner chat, they said multi-disc releases would be in digi-packs. As a two-disc release, I'd expect it'll be the same as last year's "Singin' in the Rain" and "True Romance," as well as the "Harry Potter" movies.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
There are 2 WB films that I've been wishing for SEs of for a long time.

Casablanca is one of them.

(The Seachers is the other)

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Thought Casablanca was a terribly overrated picture, looks like I'll be buying the 2 disc set to give it another chance. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks