What's new

8/5: Casablanca 2-Disc SE w/New Footage! (1 Viewer)

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Peter Kline wrote:
Kevin "Reynolds"? How quickly we forget! :D
The two Kevins never really go away (I'm happy to say). Kevin Reynolds also directed Kevin Costner in Waterworld, but the reportedly cavernous split between them after the film wrapped (and Reynolds' split with the studio, as well, who re-edited it) might make the special edition I'd love to see of that picture (with Reynolds' original cut, the theatrical cut, and commentaries and documentaries to explain the rather extraordinary history of making the picture) difficult to produce. Still, if everyone could come together on a new Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves ....

Everyone who thinks I'm nuts to care about a special edition of Waterworld ... get in line, get in line .... :D

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Bill, I too would love to see a warts-and-all SE of Waterworld. I used to follow the heard and deride this film, but just recently, I caught the film on TV in OAR and I found a really ballsy, hugely entertaining movie. There is an invigorating recklessness in the film; some of the stunts and shots are simply astonishing. I'd really love to see that legendary 150-170-minute(?) cut that was shown on American TV a few years ago - you know, the cut that has pretty much all the 'completed' deleted scenes reinstated?

Oh, wait; Universal own that title, huh? We might have to wait until the floods come until we see that bad-boy. :frowning:

Gordy

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
I really like Waterworld, I'd buy a special edition. As for Casablanca, I'm 21 and never seen it :frowning: But I've heard so much about it and will defintley buy it. I'm starting to buy more classics cos so many films today are shit!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Waterworld SE will include Costner's commentary track ala The Simpsons:

"I am so sorry for this. Oh jeez, what was I thinking?"

:D

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Craig

This is the best time to start building a collection of classic films only

Absolutely fantastic film

You won't regret it

:emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
One of the most interesting features on the old Criterion LD was a side by side comparison of a colorized version of the "Marsailles" scene with the original. That convinced me of the stupidity of colorization.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Gordon wrote:
I'm starting to buy more classics cos so many films today are shit!
Just so. :emoji_thumbsup: I'd naturally exempt Waterworld as per above, but pound for pound, my entertainment dollar finds its best value in films from the early decades of Hollywood. I still see just about everything, new and old, but the creative juices seem to have flowed strongest when the art form was young. Quality ebs and flows, though, and with the competition for box office profit becoming greater and greater, I imagine we'll be seeing more wheat than chaff in the coming years. Hacks have had their day; the roads for truly creative (and disciplined) filmmakers may open wide sooner than we think. If you're looking for something unique and different out there right now, I'd recommend Cameron's Ghosts of the Abyss, which to me (and I've taken a number of arrows for this) greatly outclasses and out emotes Titanic in a third the running time. If you thought the latter was junkfood for the easily entertained (a forerunner to Bay's Pearl Harbor), give the former a shot. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm happy to report that my nephew received his first copy of Casablanca when he was eleven or twelve, from his uncle here, and really enjoyed it (one of his favorite films at that same age was the silent The Lost World!). Casablanca's a film that appeals to all ages (as do the best of the great entertainments of "golden age" Hollywood); timeless in the best sense of the word. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, particularly in WB's new presentation, which shows every sign of being a great package.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks