What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (3 Viewers)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
The Roller Bowl was at 5612 Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood. You can see the 5624 address number on the building to the right of it in the photo.

Probably 30 years ago I used to talk to George Maharis on occasion as he was a frequent customer where I worked for awhile.

Thanks for those screencaps Randall!
Name dropper.
I am impressed, though.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Bumper to bumper stop and go traffic in front of Dino's...screen caps from Violence for your Furs...about 200 grand in collector cars if you had them in that condition today...'57 Del Ray, '57 Nomad, '58 Impala, etc...I guess folks on the actual strip always knew WB was filming down there on location when the '77' canopy went up and Dino's featured performers of the week marquee was taken down from curbside...
View attachment 49861
View attachment 49862
A newer car...'62 Pontiac Strato-Chief?
View attachment 49863

I know we love it when Stu and Jeff go for a drive with cameras rolling on the old time freeways of LA, and wish they had done more of that back then...well, feast your eyes on these screen caps from Route 66 season one, An Absence of Tears (Mar. 3, 1961)...on the Hollywood freeway...
View attachment 49865
View attachment 49866
View attachment 49867
View attachment 49868

Milner and Maharis are actually driving the 'Vette and not being towed by a camera car...all of this at highway speed and no closed track, of course...I just love the fearless and splendid location shooting of this series, which was often stunning...
View attachment 49869
View attachment 49870
View attachment 49871
View attachment 49872

Somewhere in West Hollywood...perhaps you Angelinos will recognize this place?
View attachment 49873
Angelenos, please!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Correction noted, Rob. But too late for me to edit that post from yesterday, so unfortunately my transgression will last in infamy, ha, ha. Sorry. The older I get I find myself relying heavily on spellcheck...and artificial intelligence in relief of my own failing faculties...I'm more machine than man...

One of my favorite guest stars is James Best, who of course appeared in many WB shows among his hundreds of credits...here he is in season four's Long Shot Caper (Mar. 23, 1962)...I wonder if he did this one in concert with Surfside 6's season two episode One For the Road (Oct. 2, 1961), where he also played a greasy menacing thug out to victimize Diane McBain?...if you guys are interested, I can post screen caps from that episode at some point...
long 4.JPG

Best is "Babe Mackie", a professional hit man from out of town...as he arrives at the airport, we get some authentic scenes from early '60s LAX...young people today would be shocked at the convenience of 15 minute check in prior to scheduled departure at the express que...good 'ol days...
long 2.JPG

pet shop 5.JPG

We get some nice close ups of the fictional office registry at 77 Sunset Strip, as Babe cases the joint in preparation of finding his target...
long 6.JPG

long 8.JPG

Roscoe and his girlfriend (Christine Nelson) are in danger...I think it "best" if I leave further developments to the viewer themselves...as to who ends up in the hoosegow...or county morgue...
long 5.JPG

We also see Roscoe practicing (or trying to) the lost art of the slide rule, as Jeff and J.R. look on in amusement...
long 9.JPG

long 1.JPG

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Roscoe and his girlfriend (Christine Nelson) are in danger...I think it "best" if I leave further developments to the viewer themselves...as to who ends up in the hoosegow...or county morgue...

Great screen caps, Randall. In a Tidbit far, far away--I talked about Christine Nelson being Louis Quinn's wife in real life. It's kinda hard to think the character of Roscoe actually being married, unless maybe to a female jockey.

I also appreciate the shot of the office directory. It's missing one of its 2nd floor inhabitants--A.G.A.M.P. Inc, which would show up from time to time on the board. I'm of a mind that the acronym had some sort of insider meaning known only to the set director or script writers.

Also interesting is that Dino's took down its marquee of guest appearances when filming establishing shots--presumably to avoid any unneeded or, most likely, unpaid promotion of performers.
Or, knowing that these establishing shots were only done once or twice a year, any performer on the marquee would seemingly be appearing in perpetuity at Dino's during the life of the series.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Correction noted, Rob. But too late for me to edit that post from yesterday, so unfortunately my transgression will last in infamy, ha, ha.
Yeah...that egg timer on the EDIT function is why I continuously reread my own posts over and over again before the sand runs out. Still, I miss some things and they eat at me like cockroaches on diner floor scraps.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Correction noted, Rob. But too late for me to edit that post from yesterday, so unfortunately my transgression will last in infamy, ha, ha.

Well, I shouldn't have been so quick to correct. It's nothing more than a local term, really, and when it first appeared, "Angelino" was an alternate spelling. It's just that I've been kind of in and out mentally lately.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Rob, all good my friend. We really appreciate your expert and entertaining posts here. You are both the high brow and the hipster! We sincerely hope you are on the mend and will find yourself going from strength to strength. I've had a few "dark sevens" (as Kookie would call them), lately myself. I'm 62 and really feel the weight of my years on occasion. But in my dreams I'm taking the long strides on Sunset, meeting the starlets and pushing aside the phony tripsters, as I maybe meet a private eye...

I fortify myself thusly...screen caps from season four's Pet Shop Caper (Apr. 6, 1962)...
pet shop 1.JPG

"Glory Be"...I should say so! Jo Morrow as Glory Be in Pet Shop Caper...
pet shop 4.JPG

Gilmore maintains decorum in the presence of yet another suspicious, if alluring, skirt...
pet shop 3.JPG

Gilmore and Stu on stakeout in the lounge at "LAX", of course, an impressive set on the big soundstages of the WB lot...
pet shop 7.JPG

I love the happy closing, where the cast genuinely looks to be having great fun with it...J.R. is doing a good job, but I'm sure Stu would prefer Suzanne to be scratching his back...I know I would...
pet shop 11.JPG

pet shop 12.JPG

pet shop 8.JPG

Once again, all is well on the strip...
pet shop 2.JPG

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I fortify myself thusly...screen caps from season four's Pet Shop Caper (Apr. 6, 1962)...
pet-shop-1-jpg.49999
Ahhh...the iconic shot of City Hall and Courthouse. I've seen the same shot not only on 77 SS, but a gazillion times on Perry Mason. The clouds overhead always looked to me as if a celestial bowling ball had been skittered through them leaving erratic whiff trails.
A city of thick air and deep disquiets, where even shadows are sometimes fidgety.

Sometimes I get so deep I need to go lay down for a while...

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
"Glory Be"...I should say so! Jo Morrow as Glory Be in Pet Shop Caper...

images

In October of 1960, Jo Morrow was in Los Angeles Superior Court fighting Columbia Pictures because according to her contract, her weight
was not to exceed 132 pounds; her hips, 37 inches; and her waistline, 24 inches.
She sported 137 pounds, and got fired.

Last edited:

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
You are both the high brow and the hipster!

Wow, Randall, that's just about the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! And don't worry: I'm in better shape than I've been in years. It's just that the side effects of my medications have rather scrambled my brain, and it's hard to concentrate. But I'm off of one of them now, and I'll be off the other one in a few weeks. So I should be back in the saddle soon.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Wow, Randall, that's just about the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! And don't worry: I'm in better shape than I've been in years. It's just that the side effects of my medications have rather scrambled my brain, and it's hard to concentrate. But I'm off of one of them now, and I'll be off the other one in a few weeks. So I should be back in the saddle soon.
We look forward to the return of your clear mindedness and analytical writing talent, Rob.
I hope in the meantime that your meds induce soaring constellations of unicorns and Ferris wheels to hover brightly over your convalescence.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Baker Street Caper (Mar. 16, 1962)...Stu and Roscoe in 'Ol Blighty as represented in file footage at Royal Ascot (?) and the WB backlot...
Baker street 2.JPG

Bets down...the odds on the field...Aureole appears to be the favorite...or is it Price Charlemagne at 2.5 to 1?...Peter-So-Gay a middle of the field long shot, and a good guffaw for me this early in the morning...
baker street 1.JPG

The principle entertainment of this episode appears to be the great Andrew Duggan effecting a come and go British accent...still, an entertaining wastedture (my word) of 50 minutes or so (or 47 in the MeTV edits)...
Baker street 3.JPG

Roscoe begins to master the refined technique of the gentleman's fine smoking pipe...as exemplified by the Master himself, Stuart Bailey Esq.,...who observes and encourages the talented amateur enthusiast in his endeavors...Roscoe is also broadening his interests in literature beyond the usual compelling and riveting racing forms...the Master approves...
Baker street 5.JPG

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Yeah, the unicorns and Ferris wheels kind of drugs would actually have improved my writing.
Congrats on reaching 1,000 "Likes", Rob. Deservedly so. I know I've happily contributed to your total. As soon as the unicorns and Ferris wheels return to your gray matter, the total will surely continue to increase.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Yea - that's my problem too. Medications have scrambled my brain - yea, that's the ticket.:cool:

Glad to see this group is still going strong and your valve is valving!

Added: I threw in a like for you guys - can't stop at 1000.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I just pulled this great photo off of Facebook...it might be of some interest here...early '50s I would say...love it!
42752029_2442258769334102_9204983151556820992_n.jpg
This appears to be taken from the parking lot of the Police Administrative Building (PAB), now known as Parker Center. We see this from the other direction in many of the establishing shots before scenes in Gil's office.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks