What's new

7.1 Reciever (1 Viewer)

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
I'm in the market for a 7.1 reciever with all of the new decoders (DD EX, DTS ES, etc.) that, in addition to 7.1, has a 2nd zone support. So, basically, 9 speaker outlets, with 7 for my home theater, and a separate stereo set out (l/r). I am currently under the impression that this unit will accomplish this. Am I correct? Also, what other recievers in this range would accomplish this? Finally, what sort of wattage can I expect per speaker if I were to be running all 9 at once, as well as the wpc for only 7 channels (assuming the zone 2 is hooked to an amp). Thanks!

(Under $1500 if possible .. up to $2000 total if you give me a receiver plus amp idea)

Mike

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Mike, you don't mention which unit you were thinking about to accomplish this? You say "what other receivers" would do all this, which one are you looking at now?

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
I know, and I've looked at the RX-V2400 (You helped me a lot actually, thanks again!) but I'm really worried about the power I am going to get when I'm driving 9 channels...can someone address this or give me other suggestions? Thanks a lot

Mike

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Mike, I just watched Master and Commander on DVD with the DTS track and I can't imagine how you could be even remotely concerned that the RX-V2400 will not have enough power for your fronts (JBL S312II, right?). I have a pair of JBL S310IIs up front and the 10" woofers on those babies were going nuts throughout this entire movie, and it makes me sooooo glad that I bought these beasts over any bookshelf speakers. I was watching the movie 8 dB less than reference level and the Yamaha exhibited excellent power capabilities and the sound was crisp and clean throughout the entire movie, not a single sign of distortion or lack of power.

I highly recommend you bring the RX-V2400 home and A/B compare it to the Denon 3805. I, like you, was also concerned about lack of power from the Yamaha to drive my JBL S310II front towers, based on some review I had read and was about to buy an H/K receiver instead. I auditioned a few H/K receivers and the Yamaha RX-V2400 and for me the RX-V2400 sounded far better: plenty of power, much more detailed and crisp sound compared to the muddy sound of the H/K receivers. I'm glad I took the time to audition the H/K and Yamaha receivers and didn't make a blind purchase (or deaf purchase, in this case) based solely on stuff I had read. I truly hope you take the time to do the same.

Thomas Tur

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Turner
Denon has always introduced high quality, higher tech products than their competitors. I would like recommend the 3805.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
I'm not so worried about the Yamaha's ability to drive my front's, I mean I have those 12's like you said, they should be fine, But the thing is, I want to drive 9 different speakers at once with this thing, and I need to know the Yamaha can handle that, and not leave me with a very quiet sound level. With nine speakers running, what wpc can I expect? (Also, if you know it, what wpc do you get running 7 speakers, if I were to put my zone 2's on a cheap amp instead?) Thanks a lot

Mike

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The Integra DTR 7.4 or 8.4 should fulfill your requirements. I have a 6.4 (it's only 6.1 channel) and am quite happy with it. One thing you should know, some receivers with zone 2 (mine for instance), only run in two channel in the main zone if you are powering the second zone with the same unit. I'm not set up for zone two, so I don't know if I could overcome this with an outboard amp. This limitation is somewhat buried in the literature for my stuff, and could be the case for other makes as well. Just something to keep in mind.

Just checked website, the 8.4 will give you multichannel in the main zone and 7.4 might as well.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
2 other options provided you can get a discount or a minor one :

Rotel 1056 + amp. If you get a good used 5 channel amp you should be able to combine this with the internal Rotel amp to give you plenty of juice and an upgradable piece which is something NONE Of the previously mentioned products offer. Rotel does support their stuff more than any of the others. Does component upconversion. List $1,299

NAD T773 with external amp for your 2nd zone: PLIIX upgrade coming via their upgrade port. They are fairly new to the upgrade thing so its uncertain how they will proceed. Doesn't do component upconversion as they don't believe in it. list $1,799.

Both of these can be had for less though the Rotel is harder to get discounted. Both of these I'm EXTREMELY Confident will be far superior to the Yamaha and Denon which are the cream of the crop right now. I know some will Mention Pioneer Elite but their new receivers are a ways away. The other ways lack alot of the newest features that the Rotel, NAD, Denon and Yamaha have.

A used amp is pretty easy to obtain in the $500 range or less depending on how many channels you need.

If I had to choose between the Yamaha and Denon I'd definitely go with the Denon. 3 component ins(100mhz compared to the Yamahas 60) is a nice bonus.

Both of these will have alot more power than the others(even though the Rotel lists their amp at 80x5 I wouldn't worry). There might be a few features like some DSP modes but I find those worthless for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks