What's new

In-ceiling speakers (1 Viewer)

Smoothee

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I'm doing a reno on my house and am looking to update my home theater. I have a yamaha RX-v685 atmos reciever. Im looking at either the bose 791 or polk RC-80i incieling speakers. Not sure wether to go with a 7.1 or 5.1 system. Has anyone done an in-cieling atmos setup. How does it sound?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome!

Atmos sounds absolutely incredible when done properly and with good source material. I would not recommend either of the speakers you are considering however as they both appear to be designed as in-ceiling front speakers for people who don't want floor standing towers.

For Atmos you want height speakers that were designed with it in mind. I chose these. They are perfectly capable and I've been happy with them but there are other options depending on your budget.

https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, Atmos requires speakers in the front, on the walls and in the ceiling. Then it's designated with three numbers, like 5.1.2, which means three speakers in the front (not in the ceiling) and two on the walls, to the side of the viewing area for the first number (5). The second number is the subwoofer(s) and the third number is the "Atmos" speakers, which should be in the ceiling. In a 5.1.2 configuration, the in-ceiling speakers should be about 35 degrees in front of the seating position.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks