What's new

7.1 Receiver Question (1 Viewer)

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps I'm missing the obvious, but are there any 7.1 receivers which will take the left and right surround channels and also output them on back left and back right surround channels WITHOUT any additional DSP processing/enhancements?

If not, are there other manufacturers who are doing something similar to Denon's 7.1 widescreen mode?

Any info/pointers is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
there is no 7.1 software out there right now all the dvd movies are 2 ,5.1, 6.1 channels the movie co. set up for 5.1 and added 6.1 dd & dts they want you to have 3 speakers in the front and 3 speakers in the rear for balance but right now there is no software for 7.1 thank you, joe

StephenL

Second Unit
The Onkyo TX-DS898 has a menu to select which speakers are used with a 5.1 channel source. The options are:

Surround L/R

Surround Back

Surround L/R + Surround Back

Alternatively, the receiver can be set for THX/Dolby Digital Surround EX or DTS-ES processing regardless of whether or not the signal contains the EX or ES flag.

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Joe,

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I did not clarify my question enough in my original post. I was merely using the 7.1 designation to mean four surround speakers as opposed to three. All I'm trying to determine is if a receiver exists which will take the left surround and right surround signal from a 5.1 source and send a duplicate signal to corresponding rear left surround and rear right surround speakers without adding any DSP/enhancements. I realize I could get the same result from wiring two speakers in series for each of the two surround channels but I was hoping a receiver would already have this capability built in as I would think it would be much easier to calibrate the correct volume levels and delay settings between the four speakers.

Thanks again for any help/info which can be supplied,

Dan

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
thats what the 7.1 dose it matrex the 5.1 suround singal to 7.1 for 4 suround channels some people cant put a rear center speaker because there solfa sits to close to the back wall so a 7.1 channel will be better for them if you have a lot of room behind the solfa go 6.1 my be some day they will come up with software with discreate 7.1 channls thank you, joe

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Aahh, but the "suggestion" for at least DD EX (and maybe even DTS-ES too) is, to use *two* rear center channels, not 1, which gives you 7.1.

But, Dan, your question echos my desire for my next pre/pro: I want a conservative DSP mode for utlizing my rear center channel (6.1) for "std" DD/DTS 5.1 discs.

Looks like Stephen answered positively!

Now, if only Onkyo would do a pre/pro... (sigh)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks