What's new

6 Month old Theater Room - Epson 3020 problem - Pics (1 Viewer)

Birdog

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Hey guys. I want to thank you in advance for your help. I completed my movie room last November. We've used it for about 6 months with no problems. It's been great! However a few days ago I started noticing a slight "flickering" with the Epson 3020. It's not horrible but it's bad enough to ruin the movie experience. It's not a problem from the source because it does it even when it's "blue screen"... meaning before I send any content to the projector. I read through the manual and it's no help. I know it can't be a bulb problem already... can it?

Any help you guys can send my way would be awesome.

Below are a few photos from our room. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 140

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Nice room!

When my Epson (model 8350) started doing that, the solution was to switch the bulb power setting to the other mode for a couple of hours and then switch back. In other words, if the bulb is currently set to "Eco" you'd switch it to "Normal"; if it's already in "Normal", switch it to "Eco." According to other Epson users at AVS, that usually does the trick.

Birdog

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
It worked! Thanks so much.

Thanks for the compliments on the room. I was not sure about the colors but it turned out nice. I tried to keep it clean and simple. It's wired for 7.1 but I've had a hard time finding movies that come in that audio format. If you have any suggestions let me know. The projector does great with 3D movies but they are hard to find as well.

If you have any suggestions on set up or anything else let me know. It's my first projector and fist dedicated movie room

Thanks again!

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Hi Brian,

Your mutt looks cute - and contented! Concerning the room, there are two main things I'd strongly urge you to rethink:

The surround back left and right speakers should be on the back wall; they're way too close to your surround L&R speakers. For a 7.1 layout there should also be at least 1 metre of space (2 or more is preferable) between the back wall and the rearmost listening position. This rule is often ignored, even by folk in this forum and others, because they're so intent on having a 7.1 system when 5.1 is more appropriate for the size of the room. If you're determined to stay 7.1, you need to move all your chairs forward.

Although I'm no acolyte of THX, the top 2 diagrams on this page are pretty representative of what you should be aiming for:
Also, none of the 4 rear surrounds should be aimed directly at the listening positions. They should be aimed just overhead: they're primarily meant to provide ambient effects. Only the front 3 speakers in a 7 speaker array should be firing directly at the listener(s).

The second thing is: get a bigger screen! Maybe your photos are skewing the perspective a little but it looks as though you could easily go up at least one screen size, maybe two, for a real cinematic experience.

Overall though, you really have done a great job on that room - well done!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To expound on Brenty...

Your rear 6/7 should be where the posters are. It looks like di/bi pole at 4/5. Swap those to the back wall and use the direct up along the ceiling pointed down. I would have bought tower speakers for 4/5 and just sat them on the floor in front of the window(can't readily see the other side).

Why is the screen so high up?

Great color choice.

I don't have any problem with 4/5/6/7 pointed directly at the seating, as pointed at the seating is the ITU standard...and the ITU standard is how soundtracks are mixed.

Birdog

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Thanks guys. All good points. I was limited by the battle between aesthetics and sound.

If we got a bigger screen you could not watch it with the door open. I had to have room on each side of the screen for the speakers. I originally wanted floor speakers but then I could not open the door all the way. So I had to go with something I could hang high enough to still open the door to the room. It's a 92 incher right now. Maybe moving the screen forward and have speakers 1/2 behind it will work in the future.

With speaker 4/5... I could not move them further forward because of the window. I see your point Sam about floor speakers but having floor speakers in the way of the window and the built in cabinets would look real cheesy... and I don't think I would hear much sound from them from the back row either. Like a said... battle between aesthetics and sound.

As far as the height of the screen... It seems higher in the photos than real life. For the two front seats it can seem a bit high if you have the recliners up strait. If you lean them back in either position it's fine. I had a choice...I could either build up the back row so you could see over the front row's head... or have the screen at the height it is. If I built up the last row I felt the front row would have to come forward a bit. Not sure if that row would be too close to the screen at that point. Also... there is only 4 of us in the family and we normally sit in the back. The front to seats are just when we have guest... and again.... it's not as bad as the photo makes it seem.

The room is not perfect by any means. I'm using the Xbox 1 as my Blue Ray. It can be kind of glitchy. I need to get some kind of window covering for the window but I have not found anything I like yet. The wires for the equipment are a bit out in the open since it's all sitting on top of my built in cabinets. I built the DVD shelf over it and it helps...but I'm still looking for a better solution.

Some things that I really like.... I like the dark plum ceiling and the burgundy walls. I think they turned out well with the grey carpet. I installed ceiling "can" lights to shine on locations that I was planning on putting the posters. That way when the lights are on they are shining directly on the art. It turned out nice. The built in cabinets were already in the room but I painted it to match the baseboards and crown molding and along with new cabinet hardware it looks pretty good... especially in the grey. Finally... I like that I did "loveseat" recliners in the middle of the back row. It's a great place were three of us can snuggle during a good movie.

Thanks again for the ideas... Please keep them coming. You have already given me a lot to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks