What's new

6.1 DTS ES/DD EX Recievers around $ 1000? (1 Viewer)

Daniel I

Stunt Coordinator
Are there any decent 6.1 DTS ES/DD EX ( both formats are important ) recievers available around the $1000 dollor mark?

Any comments would be appreciated?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yes!These are all 6 or 7 amp rcvrs
Onkyo 898 $1100 or less/does everything =first choice
This is the only rcvr in the $1000 range that has enough reviews to warrant consideration for THX-EX and DTS-ES.
Sony 5es $900 es with functions similar to ex/but not THX
Denon 3802 $749???? no ex
Marantz 8200/does it all=$1000(ebay)????? See the 8200 thread
JVC 10 =not sure about both formats /does THX-EX and may do es by default
This is were I am at this time! I can get the Sony for $900 and the Onkyo for less than $1100. These rvcrs do almost everything. Marantz 8200 looks good, but not much info on it!!!!! Power ratings are suspect on site.
Onkyo is smaller and weighs less but has 7 amps.#40 pounds
Two year warranty=you won't need it
The Sony is a beast between #44 and #49. It has more power. It also has a minor viedo pass through problem which I could care less about( run my video direct, best way).
5 year warranty= you may need it/maybe not
Several people have both on this forum. I am trying to sift through the hype and make an educated choice.
Both Sony and Onkyo are great companys. Onkyo has a better track record on Quality. Sony makes a bad a** es line that is something to see(awesome).
If Sony had the track record of Onkyo(owned one before) this would be a done deal. But they are pretty even in my mind after price is considered. Personal choice.:D

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
the Denon 3802 has DD EX but at $749 its probably not an authorized dealer. The 2802 has EX and DTS ES disctete and matrix and can be had for $700-$800 from an authorized dealer.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I'm so confused. I'm reading the 3802 manual and I can not find THX-EX anywhere/can you help?

Also, I thought EX was a THX function?

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Just until recently the only A/V components that can use the term "Dolby Digital EX" were components that had THX certification, either Select or Ultra.

The 898 is THX Select certified and thus can use the words "Dolby Digital EX". The 3802 isn't THX certified but can still decode EX material.

David D. C.

Stunt Coordinator
quote from bobby:

but at $749 its probably not an authorized dealer.

i found the 2802 denon for 569.95 at etronic.com my question is what does it matter if its an authorized dealer or not?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Dont forget the new Yamaha line. If you search the forum, you will find many very happy owners of the new RX-V 1200 and 2200. I have the 1200, and it rocks. Does DTS ES discrete, and DD-EX material as well.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Also don't forget the H&K's...............

AVR-520 for example:

Key Features:

Dolby Digital, DTS, and Pro Logic II

85 watts x 2 (stereo) into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.07% THD — or 75 x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.07% THD (surround mode)

component video switching: 2 in, 1 out

HDCD decoding

MP3 decoding

192kHz/24-bit DACs

5.1- and 7.1-channel Logic 7 Cinema and Music surround modes

backlit learning/multibrand EzSet remote

dual-room/dual-source audio (stereo preamp outs for second room)

separate remote for 2nd room

on-screen display (requires TV with direct video input)

front-panel digital jacks: 1 optical in, 1 coaxial in/out (switchable)

7.1-channel preamp out/5-channel main-in

7.1-channel input

front-panel A/V in/out (switchable)

back-panel digital ins: 2 optical, 2 coaxial

back-panel digital outs: 1 optical, 1 coaxial

2 audio, 5 A/V (including 5 S-video & 1 front-panel) inputs

preamp-level subwoofer output

one set of main speaker outs

30 AM/FM presets

17-5/16"W x 6-1/2"H x 17-1/8"D

warranty: 2 years

geo

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
MP3 decoding
I have been wondering about this ever since H/K started advertising it. What the heck is this. It doesnt allow you to play MP3 cds unless you have an MP3 capable DVD player so how is that different than every other reciever out there. They will all play mp3s if you send them the decoded signal from a PC or DVD player, and as far as I know, there is no way to send and un-decoded signal anyway.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I can't find DD-EX in the Denon manual either????? Or yamaha manual.

Come on give me a page number!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I can't find DD-EX in the Denon manual either????? Or yamaha manual.
I think a lot of confusion was created around the release time of these new formats, because I see questions like this a lot. DD-EX is a not an encoded format, it is only a decoding process. Like DPL II is just a way to extract 5.1 channels from two recorded channels of audio, DD-EX is just a way to extract 6.1 channels from 5.1 channels of recorded sound. All you need to do is derive a matrix channel from the the two "side" surround tracks and play it through the "rear" surround speakers. This does not exactly apply to DTS-ES discrete because that information is actually flagged as a sixth channel. But, to answer your question... on page 30 of the Yamaha RX-V1200 manual, the topic is Playing Dolby Digital Matrix 6.1 or DTS ES software. The sound derived from the 5.1 dolby digital source and sent to the rear center channel, is exactly the same as what would be derived by a THX-EX processor. All this confusion has been created over trademark issues. EX was orginally associated with THX, not Dolby, so originally, there was not DD-EX, only THX-EX. Then THX licensed it to Dolby, but many recievers that could do the decoding had already been released with generic "6.1 matrix" processing. Its all the same thing. Check out the DIY or advanced area and you will see people who are creating DIY DD-EX processors by running the rear two channels through and old ProLogic receiver. If you have a matrixed rear channel, derived from the side surrounds, you have DD-EX, it doesnt matter what you call it. The only situation that this doesnt apply to is DTS ES discrete. There is no way of decoding that discrete rear channel without a DTS-ES discrete decoder. Confused yet? :D

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Thank you for having pity on me and giving me help. Thanks! That was what I needed!!!! Your a good man++++
So lets see how confused I am at this point in time.
EX and matrix 6.1 are simulated channels and not discrete like ES.
So, do I really need that? Is there something about this that I will miss if I don't have it in a RCVR?
Then this leads to the eternal question why do I need 7 speakers? For 7.1! 6.1 discrete is as good as it gets or did I miss something?:) :emoji_thumbsup:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
:confused: :laugh: :rolleyes::thumbsdown:
Then this puts the 3802 at the top again for price vs features. And the Sony is back in the line up.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Then this puts the 3802 at the top again for price vs features. And the Sony is back in the line up.
You should probably make a list of all the receivers that meet your requirements (ie Denon, Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz, Onkyo) and are in your price range, and then base your final decision on sound quality, build quality reputation of the companies past products, feature set, remote, etc.

Daniel I

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replies. This thread has provided me with a lot of new variables to consider. Now that I understand the DD EX 6.1 situation ( or just DD 6.1 matrixed ), it looks like the clear winner for a reciever ( for me ) would be the Denon 3802 ( I had it in mind at the beginning of the thread :) ) The only question I have left is, does the 3802 have 6.1 DTS ES discrete or matrixed.
- update NM the 3802 is DTS ES discrete ( /me starts saving )
Again, thanks for the all the help! :D
Daniel I

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Now, some receivers only do matrix, like the Marantz SR-6200. It does a 6.1 matrix decoding of DD and DTS, but will not do DTS-ES Discrete. To throw another wrench in the works, if you have a DVD that has DTS-ES discrete, but dont have a DTS-ES discrete reciever, you can decode it as DTS-ES matrix
I'm not sure about this. On this forum, someone posted a response to a question to Marantz directly about DTS ES discrete, and their response was that the 6200 and up (not sure if the 5200 does) are capable of both matrix and discrete. Either way, it still sounds great.

I know for certain the 3802 is discrete, as it carries the logo. Another nice thing is the 9 speaker capability, but for the price, I went with the 6200 and I have no complaints. The 3802 has an edge over the 6200/7200 for movies, but I preferred the sound of even the 6200 over the 3802 for music.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I'm looking at the 3802 manual and it says=
dts-es Matrix 6.1
dts-es discrete 6.1
dts neo 6
Dolby pro logic 2
DDD
Now this has really confused me, but obviously it does it all!!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks