What's new

5th Anniversary of a BIG Day of DVD Releases (08/22/97) (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
It's now been exactly 5 years since August 22, 1997, one of the biggest days ever for DVD releases.
Does anybody know how many came out during that 1997 August surge? And what the biggest titles were?
Look how far DVD has come in just five years!
In comparison, I wonder how many movies were on VHS on its 5th birthday (about 1982)?? Not even close to the number that are now on DVD....for certain!
(Interestly, 08/22/97 was a Friday. When did Tuesday become official DVD release day anyway? Hmmm.) :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Courtesy of the Image-Entertainment website database:

Product Name Release Date Format
Cyborg 08/22/1997 DVD
Elvis: That's The Way It Is 08/22/1997 DVD
Elvis: That's The Way It Is (MGM) Discontinued DVD
Island Of Dr. Moreau (1996) 08/22/1997 DVD
Postman Always Rings Twice 08/22/1997 DVD
Risky Business 08/22/1997 DVD
Rob Roy (1995) 08/22/1997 DVD
Show Boat (MGM) Discontinued DVD
Under Siege 08/22/1997 DVD
Viva Las Vegas 08/22/1997 DVD
Viva Las Vegas (MGM) Discontinued DVD
Witches Of Eastwick 08/22/1997 DVD
Woman Of The Year (MGM) Discontinued DVD
Year Of Living Dangerously (MGM) Discontinued DVD

14 items? And that's with some duplicates. Are you sure you got the right date?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
14 releases in one day was a big big deal back then, that is if you remember how slim the pickings were back then. I remember all too well buying my shiny new player and going months before getting 2 or 3 DVD's from the small list available, to play on it.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I remember walking through the snow in my bare feet jsut to pick up a copy of (insert really cheesy title here)....

Seems like decades ago on March 16th 1997 buying my first DVD player, with NO titles available in Houston (the sale of software was limited to certain cities-Houston was not one of them). It took three weeks to get Eraser and Blade Runner from the same chain's Dallas store.

When was the date that they started to sell DVD titles outside of the test markets?

Remember getting excited because certain studio's were actually going to BEGIN to release titles on DVD?

How far we have come

Thanks for the flash back!!
Ron

Craig W

Second Unit
Wasn't that the day the Warner 5-city test market was lifted? So in essence everything that had been released from April of 97 on was now available nationally.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
David L. ......
I know that's not everything that was released on 08/22/97.
Also out that date were: The Bodyguard, Grumpy Old Men, Jailhouse Rock, and Blade Runner. Plus others I cannot recall.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Ron - i remember those times well. I live in south louisiana, and the nearest 'test market' was Dallas, 500+ miles away.

Fortunately, there was a mail-order place that was willing to break the ban and sell me DVDs over the net, otherwise my DVD player would have set idle for 6 or so months...

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Are you saying August 22, 1997 was the day DVD's were first released?

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
On that same note, does anyone know what was the first DVD released? I would imagine there would be more than one released on the first day, but one movie would still have that honor.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The first titles released in the U.S., on March 19, 1997, by Lumivision, authored by AIX Entertainment, were IMAX adaptations: Africa: The Serengeti, Antarctica: An Adventure of a Different Nature, Tropical Rainforest, and Animation Greats. (Other movies such as Batman and Space Jam had been demonstrated earlier, but were not full versions available for sale.) The Warner Bros. U.S. launch followed on March 24, but was limited to seven cities. Almost 19,000 discs were purchased in the first two weeks of the US launch -- more than expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks