What's new

$59.99 for WarCraft 3, you're kidding right??? (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I totally disagree. Blizzard's games are very in-depth and are meant to be played online. You simply cannot catch all the bugs and balancing issues until it is in use by the masses in an online environment. Impossible. Again, take Diablo II for example. After the game was released they have continuously monitored the online play and fixed any serious balancing issues that have arisen. They have also fixed any glitches found in the gameplay or with specific items and they have also continuously fixed any problems that have arisen with hackers and cheaters. They didn't have to do any of this and they didn't charge anything for doing so. The tweaks and upgrades they have made to the game since it's launch (even minor things like improving the chat areas) are almost too many to keep track of. So, yes, I do think you pay for the company behind the product. Especially when it comes to online games. Continued support for an online game can be critical and you can count on it from Blizzard.
Please reread my post Aaron. We all pay for the companies behind these games. That is plain as day known to any gamer out there. When we buy any of these games the company makes money. The point of my comment that you quoted was that we pay for the game not the company *NAME*.
As an example in the electronics world, some people are willing to pay a premium price to own a Dell receiver. Or there are many Sony loyalists who will pay more to own one of their televisions. That leads to my next question:
Why should we, the gamers, pay a premuim price to own a game made by Blizzard or Bioware??
Are the games they make good? Hell yes! But does that mean that they can start charging 15 bucks more for their titles than say Beth soft or Valve? I honestly don't know. Like I said previously, I don't have too much of an issue with the pricing of these games but if these companies move more and more to setting higher prices just because people will pay it I'll be buying less and taking less chances on games than I would have before.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Diablo 2 was one of the buggiest things I had played in a while. I had major problems just getting the game to load. It did not work with 64MB nvidia cards except without using the 3d acceleration option. Eventually they fixed it but it took a long time.

Diablo 2 kept my interest for maybe 2 weeks. My friends and I played through it pretty quickly together, then never really touched it until the expansion pack game out. Then we played that over a weekend and haven't really touched it since. Warcraft 3 will be more of the same for us. We'll all eventually get it, then play it a lot over maybe a weekend or a week and then it'll collect dust. All for $60? No thanks. We can wait. We've all got jobs and gaming is secondary in our lives. If people wanna pay $60+ for a game then good for them, but there will be many people out there that won't bite until the prices drops.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
The difference being that the end quality of a Blizzard game is always great. Development time does cost money. If you are going to charge extra to recoup some of these costs then you better be damn sure your game is worth it. I think Blizzard games fit this criteria.
Blizzard always delivers. I have strayed to few other games besides theirs. Diablo II ran fine for me. I'm still playing it. I have to side with Aaron, I'm there for WC3

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I work at a retailer preselling this game and I was shocked when I saw that we were selling it for $59.99. that is just to much for any game.$40 to $45 is pretty good for a price ceiling. I would definitely buy more games at $40 than $50.

Brian E

Screenwriter
There is no excuse for that pricing structure when other games come out (Morrowind, Half-Life) that have amazing features, outstanding gameplay, and are incredibly extensible, yet are < 50 bucks.
Funny, I was just at Micro Center and NWN is $54.99 while Morrowind is $59.99! I think this price increase has been coming for a while now and sometime soon $55-$60 will become the standard price for an A List game. There are places to buy games without paying MSRP, but it all boils down to if you want it you'll pay and if you don't want it that bad you won't. If enough people don't they'll have to look at the pricing structure, but from what I've seen a great majority are willing to pay.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
There is a lot of work that goes into making games and developers aren't cheap these days.

Anyways I got a 'free' copy of WC3.

Jeff

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Anyways I got a 'free' copy of WC3.
Just think you just kept someone's kid from being able to eat. What business are you in? I'm in the rental car business, I would compare it to someone getting a free rental...when they get that they are effectively taking money away from me.

BTW - the first comment was just ane example.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
a co-worker of mine just gave me an ISO image of the CD with a key-generator to install it. I don't know where he got it but I doubt he tell me his 'secret' website.

Jeff

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I spoke to someone at EB today who said the the regular edition will be $79.99 in Canada. Still kinda high, but not as bad as $90, and the same as NWN.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
a co-worker of mine just gave me an ISO image of the CD with a key-generator to install it. I don't know where he got it but I doubt he tell me his 'secret' website.
That makes ALL the difference. I guess if he gives you crack and you smoke it that's ok too? As long as YOU didn't obtain the crack?

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
It's all about Economics folks. Those who want it will pay the higher fees.
Just like the days of laserdisc when someone would pay $100 for the Criterion version of a movie they liked. Give it a few weeks and the cost will drop some.

J

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I wasnt about to spend $60 on a stupid new release.... soooo I dropped $75 for the 'special edition' and am considering this a $50 game with 2 $12.50 DVDs bundled in =)

Sam

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Warcraft 3...The Prologue Orc Campaign and the beginning Human Campaign sucks until the very last mission (Mission #9), then you end that and go to the Undead Campaign, which is starting to get a little better and a better story plot, plus playing evil is much better anyway. I have no idea about the other campaigns...haven't finished the undead one yet. But, so far, not worth $60...maybe $39.95, but definitely not $60.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
To save the most bucks, don't pre-order and wait for it to show up at BestBuy and CircuitCity. They usually discount heavily (especially on hyped up games) the first or second week. When DungeonSiege (MSRP $55) came out, BB had it for $39 and included a $10 BB GiftCard. CC had it for $29. Took CC's ad to BB, pricematched it, and got it for $29 - $10 GC for a net of $20, which is what its worth anyway! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks