$59.99 for WarCraft 3, you're kidding right???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Fisher, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

What is up with this price for WarCraft 3? I will NEVER pay $65 for a videogame. That is absolutely absurd. No piece of software can be worth that much money.

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

3. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

So wait a few years till it's Binware.

4. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Neverwinter costs as much. I paid 54.99 for that. My eyes about bugged out when I heard the price but I had to have the game.

5. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I dunno - game companies gotta make money. I'll pay $65 for a GREAT game, because I've sure as heck paid $40 for some really bad ones.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Bah, try living up in Canada. Neverwinter's average street price is a paltry (har har) $85. Shoot me now! I doubt WC3 will be any better. Luckily I've always preferred C&C to the Blizzard RTS', so I can save my money there.

But I wish games would stay a little down in price, geeze. Soon console games will be cheaper than PC games, which hasn't happened in years...

8. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

Perhaps we should stop pirating so many copies of games then. At least, that is what the software companies will always say when we, the consumer, complain about high prices of games. I guess it sort of makes sense. If even 25% of people pirate a game rather than buy it, that is some pretty heavy losses for the company. I have heard others argue that if the companies would lower the cost of games, then they would be more likely to buy them rather than pirate. Sort of an endless circle of an argument. I know I will always pay to get a quality game and support companies like Bioware and Blizzard. Heck...what are you willing to pay for the ground-breaking DOOM III that is coming out next year???

9. Tino D'Voe

Tino D'Voe Agent

I think with that price you only give more reason for people to pirate games. Face it, every game is available on the net. Times are changing and cranking prices higher will only backfire.

10. Romier S

Romier S Producer

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Hypothetical situation: if all piracy stopped tomorrow, how many publishers do you honestly think would drop prices? I'm not advocating piracy on any level, I just don't think many companies would pass on any savings to the customer.

-Dave

12. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I remeber paying close to $80.00 for some SNES carts...
    -Andre F

13. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

WC3 is a disgusting $90 + tax here (ontario). This is for the REGULAR version. I have never seen a game priced this high...most games are $60-$70 here when they're released.

14. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Holy crap, $90? And $85 average for NWN?

I paid $80+GST CDN for my copy, plus got $5 off the World Builder's Guide. And I thought that was pricey!

The irony is that hundreds of people cannot play NWN at all (crashes or won't run), because of the CD copy protection. They actually had to download the CRACK to play it! Understandably, these people are pissed.

15. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I remember watching my dad pay ~$100 for a copy of Virtua Racing for the Genesis....

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

17. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I'd bet if no one bought games at such high prices, the prices would be lower.

They're just testing to see what the market will bear. With millions of pre-orders, it looks like the market will bear some pretty friggin high prices.

18. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I think that $60 is a ridiculous amount for a game. All games should be $40 - $50. I paid $60 for NWN but I'm hoping for some sale prices on it in the next 30 days so that I can get the price match from Best Buy. I won't be buying WC3 at that price. With the cost of a lot of console games dropping lower, I don't think that it's a good economic decision for a software company to raise the price of their PC games.

19. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

People will buy it at $60, once sales slow down, they'll probably knock it down to $50 for you that feel $60 is too high.... and so on so on.

Blizzard's not foolish, they know people will buy their games. Even those that complain about it being $60. The only real problem could be those that would have bought it, pirate it instead, play it a bit, realise that it's not worth $40 let alone $60 and never buy it.

But still, I don't see where this comes from. Most PC games are around $70, some $75 or $80.... this is $90, and $120 for the collectors edition.

20. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If best Buy has it for under 40 I'll bite