What's new

540p?? (1 Viewer)

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
i dont think so. I think 540p is just a thosiba thing..to try to sound cool. They may have special DVD players (Toshiba) that output in 540p..but I havent heard of anything.

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
No players outpot 540P. Toshiba is also not the only TV maker to use 540p upconversion. The Hitchis also do this but i hear they do it better..

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
The reason for 540P upconversion is because it's the same scanrate as 1080i. This makes it easier (cheaper) for the manufacturers to calibrate their sets.

If you want a 540P DVD player, the only route to take is an HTPC, AFAIK.

-Mike...

Han

Second Unit
The 540p upconversion thing on Hitachi and Toshiba TVs is more a problem than a good thing. See www.keohi.com/keohihdtv for the explanations.
On the standalone DVD player side, what Toshiba is advertising is kind of marketing BS to stir up confusion. I'm sure someone else can explain it better than I can.
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...b=5&o=&fpart=1
I just know to ignore that line of spec on DVD players until someone more knowledgeable says otherwise.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Make sure not to confuse horizontal and vertical resolution when reading specs on tvs and dvds. Toshiba's DVD players' specs are stating horizontal resolution - as measured as a function of picture height. i.e. how many "pixels of information" are outputted on one length of a horizontal line equal to the picture height. The 540p figure for some Hitachi and Toshiba tvs is the number of horizontal lines in total on the entire image - i.e. vertical resolution. These tvs take the NTSC standard of 480 (actually 525 but the rest are not used for the video image) and upconvert it to 540 for the reasons already stated. It can be confusing since both values are the same. If one takes the 540 lines of horizontal resolution and does (540 * 4) / 3, one gets 720 which then gets you the DVD standard resolution of 720 * 480. So really all Toshiba is stating on their dvd players' specs is that they conform to the DVD spec. :)
Whether or not you actually see this amount of horizontal resolution on your tv (all tvs support 480 lines of vertical resolution) depends on what it's horizontal resolution capabilities are. The best way to determine this is to use Avia test patterns to measure it. In addition, the actual dvd content stored on the disc may not be stored with a full 720 * 480 pixels of information.
cheers,
--tom

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I have found with my Toshiba 480i out of my DVD player actually looks better. No biggie, I'll just live with it as is until I get my HTPC done or HDTV becomes the standard.

-Mike...

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
I was under the impression that the Cinematrix progressive mod (don't know the status of it nowadays) had the capability of outputting 540p.

Not that I consider it a desirable option...

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
When the TV takes in 480p and displays 540p, two things have to happen.
(1) For every six incoming scan lines, a seventh must be synthesized and added. It is difficult to do this without causing more jaggies. Rather than just repeating every sixth line, some systems do an elaborate blending which reduces jaggies but can still result in repeating thin horizontal banding as seen in the Keoki HDTV site examples.
(2) The incoming video has to be digitized in order for the 480 to 540 scaling process to occur. If there is an insufficient pixel width (chopped into not enough pixels per scan line) there will be softening and some moire patterns amidst closely spaced fine details.
A DVD player that outputs 540p or 1080i also has to deal with problem #1 above.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks