What's new

Important Question About Hitachi 46W500 TV, Can Someone PLEASE Help? (1 Viewer)

Anthony_Br

Agent
Here is my question, and it is a very critical one to me buying this TV or not. I may be able to get one at a really good price but I first need to know what's up with it only doing 540p and not 720p? Will it up convert the 540p to 720p or will it down convert the 720p to 540p? And if so will it look like crap either way? This is really big for me because I own an XBOX 360 where all of the games are standard 720p, so that is a big reason for my wanting to buy an HDTV. Should I just wait and get a TV that already does 720p? or will this one do what I need it to do? I REALLY appreciate any advice given, as I need to decide very quickly wether or not I want to buy this TV.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
From what I can read regarding the specs for this set it does 540p or 1080i so you're fine with the XBOX360. I have an XBOX360 and you can set the output for all XBOX360 games to either 720p or 1080i. By setting your XBOX360's output to 1080i it will work just fine with your set, if the spec sheet on the Hitachi site is accurate.

1080i and 720p are considered about equal as far as the picture is concerned. It's not until you get up to 1080p that there is a noticeable improvement in resolution but that's overkill for the XBOX360.

Hope this helps. For some reason your message was posted 4 times so I deleted the other three which were identical.

Anthony_Br

Agent
Thanks for the help Robert. My only other question would be what if I wanted to play the 360 on 720p and not 1080i? What would happen then? Would it up sample or down sample? I may just be better off getting a set that already does 720p.....still not sure though.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
crts are not great for playing video games due to the risk of burn in related to static images.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think that varies from set to set depending on the electronics. For example, if I try to send a 1080p signal into my 720p Runco Projector it displays a message "Format Not Supported." This might also happen with the Hitachi or it might, as you said, change it to 540p instead. Since the spec sheet states, "1080i/540p User selectable" I would guess that it would be the latter.

However, since the XBOX360 will output either 1080i or 720p on all of its games I don't see what they problem would be. 1080i and 720p both look comparable and many people can't even tell them apart. The Hitachi is a 1080i set and the XBOX360 produces 1080i as an option on all games it accepts.

And Gregg makes a good point about CRTs not being the best for static images of games due to burn in. Same with Plasmas. A 720p DLP might be a better choice. These have come down in price due to the introduction of 1080p DLPs.

Anthony_Br

Agent
Thanks alot Mr. Fowkes....that is the exact kind of info that I was looking for....I think that I will pass even though the deal is real sweet. I will just wait and get something that better suits my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks