1080i versus 540p for viewing DVD's

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bryan.S, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Bryan.S

Bryan.S Auditioning

So here's the deal:

I have the Toshiba 46H84 rear projection HDTV and the Samsung HD841 up-conversion DVD player. Although the DVD player has the HDMI output, I have it hooked up through Monster brand component cables (thus not even using the up-conversion capabilities). My question is this: When playing a DVD in progressive scan, is it better to have the TV set to 540p or 1080i??

2. John S

John S Producer

The answer can and will be at least in part dependent on content. Like if you notice something you don't like try the other one. 99% of the time, the difference will not be discernable to the eye at all though.

3. Bryan.S

Bryan.S Auditioning

But if I am using the 1080i setting then it's not actually displaying a progressive scan image, right?

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Toshiba hasn't had the best reputation for great 540P upconversion. Although the 540p is better in the 84 series than in the 81/82 series ... it still is not perfect. Although hard to tell, the Samsung likely does a better job of taking it to 1080i ...

regards

5. John S

John S Producer

Bryan.. Yes you still are, it is being presented interlaced is all. Some displays like mine, give you the choice of eye fidelity, or what ever other name they may use for it. In a sense 480p or 960i, you set is similar except it is 540p or 1080i. You still getting line doubling though for sure.