What's new

50's,60's 70'S shows on bluray (1 Viewer)

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Are these the only ones out on bluray , Has anyone heard of others coming out in the near future ?
Honeymooners
Dick Van Dyke
Lost in space
Twilight zone
Andy Griffith
I love Lucy
Little house on a prairie
Batman
Star Trek

add a couple for a wish list ...
top 3 would be

Starsky and Hutch
Sanford and Son
Odd Couple

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
You can add

The Prisoner
Battlestar Galactica

to the list.

The UK has
Space 1999
and soon will have
The Time Tunnel
(Not sure if these are Region 'B' or Region Free)

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Sanford and Son was shot on video, so you'll never see a Blu-Ray release of it. No film to remaster in HD, and an upconversion would likely be hideous

Your right , I wonder if the dvds could have been done better. While there much better then anything broadcast on tv , I doubt Sony would ever re-do them .

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
I heard the Mill Creek was remastering some t.v. shows for Blu-ray a while back. They did the complete series to "That 70's Show" last year. The other shows they mentioned were "3rd Rock From The Sun", "Roseanne" and "The Cosby Show". Hopefully it rings true.....at least for "Roseanne" (that I would like).

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I came across Sanford and Son complete collection today at Walmart. A little surprised says (Remastered in HD on the back) whats up with that ? I have all the sony individual ones , None of them say that .

Back when it was on tv first time if we were lucky we were watching it with 350 lines of resolution . I wonder what the video masters are capable of ?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Might just be part of their standard template, like how CBS even includes the warning about how music might be altered in releases that are fully intact.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Might just be part of their standard template, like how CBS even includes the warning about how music might be altered in releases that are fully intact.

Yes ,It looked to good to be true . I think I read that it's the same copies as before and the dvd's are all scratched up stacked together in a tiny little case .

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Why would SANFORD AND SON need HD remastering, anyway? It was originally recorded on low resolution videotape, and as such, any HD Remastering would just be a waste!

As it stands, the Sony DVDs are perfectly watchable, and the S&S episodes probably look better than when they originally aired!

CHEERS! :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Why would SANFORD AND SON need HD remastering, anyway? It was originally recorded on low resolution videotape, and as such, any HD Remastering would just be a waste!

Pretty much anything that was on tape originally wouldn't look any different with remastering, even Barney Miller!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Pretty much anything that was on tape originally wouldn't look any different with remastering, even Barney Miller!
Which pretty much rules out the necessity of HD upgrading for any 1970s/'80s era Norman Lear sitcoms, all of which were recorded on videotape, I believe! For the uninitiated, the resolutions used for the pre '90s North American based videotaped sitcoms rarely (If ever!) exceeded what the SD based DVD Format (Let alone Blu-ray!) can fully replicate. Any HD version of these would involve upscaling at the source which, if not properly done, can yield rather terrible looking results! It's simply not worth the time and cost!

CHEERS! (An '80s Era Non Norman Lear Sitcom, That Was Filmed And Thus WOULD Benefit From An HD Upgrade, BTW!!) :)

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Here is an interesting tv show crime drama from the UK (The Professionals) It ran from 77-83
, This looks like one heck of an awesome job on bluray . Look at the work they did on the transfer , https://www.amazon.co.uk/Profession...=1462652018&sr=8-3&keywords=The+Professionals . One could only wish they would do that for Starsky and Hutch ,Kojak and Baretta .Those pretty much opened the door for all that was too come like NYPD Blue and my favorite The Shield .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks