What's new

50 inch screen size--TV or projector? (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
My room is quite dark (only a small basement window that is easily blocked) and because of space limitations and room orientation, the maximum screen size I can use is 50 inches (55 at the outside). I'm in the early stages of researching possible replacement options for my trusty 32 inch SD WEGA analogue 4:3 TV.

My primary uses for a new display:
DVDs
SD TV watching
HD broadcasts are in the medium term, but not for another 2 years or so (not enough HD material, yet, in my area--could change and shrink the time horizon)
hi-def DVD (once the format war is settled and/or universal players of decent quality are available)

If I go with a TV, it will do all of the above. If I go with a projector (will need a pulldown screen), TV watching will only occur if/when I go HD (but if the projector is inexpensive enough, I'll probably just upgrade the display again for HD--either projector or TV).

I watch a lot of old B&W movies in 4:3, so that has to be taken into consideration.

Thoughts?

Jimi C

Screenwriter
A TV for sure. Imo, a projector isnt worth the hassel if all your looking for is a 50" screen. I would get one of the new Samsung 1080p DLS sets. TV Authority has the 50" Model for about $1800 shipped.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Is there any possibility that your viewing area will be expanding in the future? If so then go for the projector. When I bought my sound system I was living in a one bedroom apartment full of senior citizens where I couldn't listen to anything louder than a clock radio without disturbing the neighbors. I've sense spent two years living in a three bedroom apartment full of college students who were constantly trying to out thump their neighbors (I always won), four years living in a three bedroom house by myself, and a year living with my girlfriend and her two kids. I don't trust the kids around my gear so I hooked the system up in my brother's basement. I have gotten more than my moneys worth out of my system because I bought something that was powerful enough to suit my future needs.

The point of this story is that a projector is overkill for a 50" viewing area. If there is a reasonable chance that your viewing area will expand some time over the next five years then get the projector. If on the other hand you're fairly certain that you'll still have the same viewing area for the foreseeable future then go with a TV.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It'll be at least TEN years before I get a different space for my setup (either taking over the larger basement room in our current house OR moving). I guess the consensus (here and elsewhere) is for a TV. Now to find the right one.:eek::laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks