What's new

5 Movies You'll NEVER Watch Again... (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sometimes you have to take them personally because not all filmmakers have benevolent motivations.

They can insult the audiences intelligence and put their ignorant views and opinions in to the minds of the viewers. I am a firm believer that people who create art should do so with responsibility.

If a filmmaker or a studio has an agenda then that gets me angry from time to time.
Filmmakers are just telling a story, it's up to individuals to determine how seriously they want to take that story.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
This film made me forever immensely dislike Bill Pullman for the very reasons you state above. I can't watch anything with him in it anymore.

Yes. He has had a few okay roles but his career since that movie has gone nowhere. Only seen him in Zero Effect since ID. He does not appear to have much range in his acting based on what films I have seen him in.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Let's not forget about the Aliens coming to destroy the human race trash we get in all sci-fi alien movies.

Can they not be here to help us and educate us? Why is only CEOTK the only movie that deals with this subject with some intelligence?

CE3K is a fine film, but not the only film to feature benevolent (in one form or another) aliens. Some other examples that readily come to mind:

The Arrival
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Contact
Superman

Folks are certainly entitled to their opinions, but I am surprised at a few titles mentioned in this thread; although years of discussion on films should have conditioned me to not be so. Obviously there is a distinction between genuinely bad films and those which generate a negative viewer experience despite the craft applied to said film.

No real films to add to the list, at least right now.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's naive to assume that.

Some are. Some have other things in mind.
I'm not being naive because I don't allow a filmmaker to control my thoughts on a matter. I watch movies to be entertain, not taught history lessons or other inspirational topics.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Movies I'll never watch again

Spider-Man 3

Where the Wild Things Are (worst movie going experience ever)

Green Lantern

Joker

Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton)

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
CE3K is a fine film, but not the only film to feature benevolent (in one form or another) aliens. Some other examples that readily come to mind:

The Arrival
Contact
Superman

Folks are certainly entitled to their opinions, but I am surprised at a few titles mentioned in this thread; although years of discussion on films should have conditioned me to not be so. Obviously there is a distinction between genuinely bad films and those which generate a negative viewer experience despite the craft applied to said film.

- Walter.

Yes. You have added some examples that show it's not all one sided.

But there appears to be a lot more that go down the malevolent route.

War of The Worlds, The Thing, Invaders Of The Body Snatchers, Alien, Star Trek movies & X-Files movies etc.

To give perhaps some credibility to the filmmakers that decided to go down the malevolent route it was probably due to the belief that it would make more money.

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

The Arrival
Contact
Superman

- Walter.
Walter, at first glance I thought the four films you listed were those you’d never watch again, then read through more carefully and understood what you were saying.

The last three you listed (including the 1951 version of The Day The Earth Stood Still) happen to be among my favourite films, so I thought if my tastes are so diametrically opposed to yours, then I’d better get hold of The Arrival too, as it’s one I’ve not seen before. Well, maybe I ought to get it anyway.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Three come to mind immediately:

In Harm's Way:
I had such high hopes for this film based on so many favorites in the cast. Maybe it was just too high of hopes. However, I found the ending overly depressing with how several of the characters were dealt with. Especially, the character played by Kirk Douglas.

The Shawshank Redemption:
Great movie when it came out, but it seemed to always be on TBS/TNT back in the day and I'd get caught into rewatching it. I've just seen it way too many times, and there are now some parts that don't sit as well with me that I just ignored back then.

Batman Returns:
Never rewatched after the first viewing. Own only because it was part of the Batman collection. First movie that stands out to me where they went overkill introducing too many characters and not having enough room remaining for a decent story. As much as I like Devito as an actor, the Penquin character was just too dark for me.

I purposefully selected movies that just don't work for me, but I know are overall popular with many. Instead, of picking movies that are generally considered bad all around.

Last edited:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I'm not being naive because I don't allow a filmmaker to control my thoughts on a matter. I watch movies to be entertain, not taught history lessons or other inspirational topics.

Me too but people mimic famous celebrities who they admire in the movies including their behavior especially young people.

Not everyone have the intelligence and wisdom to have the same attitude you have and can be victimized by people in positions of power and influence.

We obviously disagree on this subject which is fine so no point in arguing any further on the matter.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Hard to disagree with your take on The Usual Suspects. I recently bought the UHD, after not having seen the film in a very long time. I couldn’t even make it to the end- I didn’t know what I ever saw in it. Didn’t deserve its 2 Oscars (one of the biggest injustices in Oscar history is Spacey winning over Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys- Spacey gets it for just walking funny).

I disagree. To me, it felt like Pitt was attempting to channel Dennis Hopper's performance from Apocalypse Now.

Very interesting to see IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE mentioned here more than once in a Top 5 list of films you'll never watch again.

I have always thought it was sacrilege to criticize a film like IAWL. For that reason, I have been a closeted disliker of that film. I have seen it only once all the way through, and it was a real struggle to get to the end. You can really feel the film's 135-minute running time as it gets weighed down by dark themes.

I find it interesting that it's been mentioned here a few times, as well. But only because I absolutely love the film, and have seen it more times than I can count. Just watched it during this holiday season, in fact.

As to the subject at hand...I'm not sure that there are any films that I will "NEVER Watch Again". Throughout my life, I've recognized that my reaction to films can be affected by mood, exhaustion, or other things that have little to do with the quality of the film at hand. There have been times that I've disliked a film intensely the first time I've seen it, and seeing it again years later I'm able to appreciate it more.

There are certainly films that I'm not eager to rewatch -- Salò,, as mentioned by someone else, being one of them -- but I'm not sure I can say that I will never try to give it another chance. If there are films I never watch again, it'll be more likely that it's due to not finding the time to do so, or not being in the right mood for it at any given time.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

The Arrival
Contact
Superman

I'm assuming that you're referring to Arrival (Denis Villeneuve, 2016) rather than The Arrival (David Twohy, 1996). ;)

Last edited:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
It would be great if some kind of system was devised to avoid making bad decisions on choosing what new films to watch.

Generally, I avoid genres I don't particularly like too much.

Musicals, comic book movies & romance are usually the types of movies I will avoid.

Still seem to watch a lot of movies that I end up not liking but it is very hard to filter out the bad ones.

Perhaps it's just a occupational hazard of being a movie lover.

Last edited:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I hate crapping on films in general. One man's trash is another person's treasure. But to answer the question :)

Michael Bay's Transformer Sequels: Incoherent nonsense

Rise of Skywalker: I had some issues with some Star Wars films before (growing up and loving the series), but this is bottom or the barrel for that series. Actively bad as a film, impossible to suspend disbelief. Clearly a product of a locked release date and a very rushed production. I'd rather watch Attack of the Clones (which at least had a few moments of fun).

*Pet Sematary (80s version): Traumatized me when I was in high school, never finished it. And I watch a ton of horror films.

The English Patient: Even before the Seinfeld episode, I hated this film. Saw it in theaters, wanted to love it, found it completely orthogonal to my world perspective.

*Highlander II: The Suckening: Only VHS film I ever rented and ejected before finishing. Liker Pet Sematary, only saw half of it - which I'll never ever, ever watch again.

* Never finished these.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
There are plenty of films that I dislike and don't care to ever watch again, way more than 5. Why would I revisit films that I didn't enjoy? That's similar to some video game forums I visit where some people will play a game they claim to dislike for hundreds of hours. Why would I waste my time on entertainment that doesn't bring me enjoyment?

With that said...

I don't care to watch any of the MCU phase 4 films ever again except Shang-Chi (although I haven't seen the Black Panther sequel). Honestly, Marvel feels lost and stuck in the mud since End Game and I just don't have that urge to rush out to Marvel movies anymore. Even the new Ant-man trailer just doesn't get me excited, and I loved the first 2 Ant-man movies.

Black Adam is the worst superhero film I have seen in a long, long time. It's a confusing origin story. I mean, how many Shazams are there in the DC universe? I thought their team was the Justice League, what is this Justice Society? Why does DC like to jump straight to the team up movies with out establishing anything before them? Black Adam is a crappy movie that I don't care to ever watch again.

Never Ending Story, for whatever reason this movie freaked me out as a little kid and to this day I have never finished it. I have no motivation to ever finish it. It has scarred me.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Interesting thoughts on It's A Wonderful Life. This year I played the soundtrack while we were putting Xmas decorations up and my wife remarked you could visualize the scenes in your mind without the pictures. I teared up when Mr Gower realized George had saved him from a fatal mistake!
I have to agree about The English Patient too but generally don't dwell on movie mistakes, as there arn't that many!!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Five offhand that I can think of.

1) Million Dollar Hotel with Mel Gibson. It was tedious, so much so I turned it off.

2) Magnolia. Incomprehensible and boring.

3) The Thin Red Line. Incomprehensible, pretentious and boring. I'm still trying to figure out why I bought a copy of it.

4) The Last Jedi. Even the prequels were better.

5) Rise of Skywalker. It was like a teacup reading of Star Wars. Just a mess.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I also saw Schindler's List once and have not rushed to do so again. It will never be one that I rewatch on any kind of frequent basis. But it's too good of a film for me to say that I will never watch it again. There might be another time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks