What's new

5 more days for SONY ws and questions (1 Viewer)

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased a SONY KP-51HW40 yesterday at goodguys and I also got a monster video 3 component ($89.99) and a monster optical toslink ref ($99.99) total $2069 plus tax.

They didn't have it in stock and they'll deli this Saturday. This's my 1st BIG tv ever, and I've read some threads about TV in this forum. I'm wondering what's AVIA??? AVIA calibrate??? where can I get it from????

I'm so new to this, I don't know what to do 1st when I get it. Do I need to do AVIA stuffs or something else first before I enjoy it????

Thanks for your answers

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I'm wondering what's AVIA??? AVIA calibrate???
AVIA is a DVD that helps you calibrate your home theater audio and video. It is layed out via a menu system so you can select different aspects of calibration. From a video perspective, you want to ensure the best quality picture by walking through the various calibration exercises that AVIA provides. This will also extend the life of your TV's picture. You should be able to pick up AVIA at most places where DVDs are sold. Check out some on-line venues if your local store does not carry it. Video Essentials is another DVD title supporting such calibration.

Even before you give AVIA or VE a whirl, the first thing to do with your TV is to go into the settings menu and turn down settings such as brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc., for each supported input to values at least below the 50% mark. Often, TVs are set up at the factory with high settings in these areas, which can cause phosphor burn-in and premature aging of the CRT guns. Once this is done, you can readjust using AVIA or VE.

Doug

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Binh, to follow-up on what Doug said: The Sonys have several picture modes - Vivid, Movie, Pro (there is one other I can't remember now). You should ALWAYS use Pro mode. This mode has the SVM (artificial "sharpening" circuitry) turned off. It also has the Brightness, Contrast, etc. set at 50%, which is a good starting point, although you'll probably want to turn them down even more. After using AVIA I have Brightness & Contrast at about 30%.

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, those infos are very helpful to me. I'm printing this page and save it for this saturday :)
I'll have to get that avia thing today or tomorrow. But how much it cost? and where to get (bestbuy, circuitcity, goodguys....?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks