What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-8-2011 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
That Harry Potter doc--available at Target--does look pretty darn good.

But I'm not sure it's worth an extra $5.

But it might be.

Hmmmmm.

vansshoes

Auditioning
Real Name
vans shoes
My name is dove, was born in the United States, at the age of five to China's, a company of business in China, is the vans for the brand, didn't buy in China very hot, then make money, want to open a in the United States, now is being planned, hope that we support a lot!!!!!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The good news: The Rush t-shirt included with the Best Buy BD is XL (according to the listing on the website). The bad news: It says "RASH" on it. It's kind of funny when Geddy Lee wears it on stage, but I'm not sure it's something I want to walk around in. . .

Mike Frezon

Premium
Cameron's review of the blu of the final Harry Potter movie is now linked-to in the OP.

I am really looking forward to that. I saw it in IMAX 3-D (my first viewing of that kind) and it knocked my socks off.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Mike Frezon said:
That Harry Potter doc--available at Target--does look pretty darn good.  But I'm not sure it's worth an extra $5.  But it might be.  Hmmmmm.
Don't quote me on this but, according to some other site, it may be $5 cheaper next week.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Originally Posted by Marvin

Don't quote me on this but, according to some other site, it may be $5 cheaper next week.

Hmmmm. It wouldn't be without precedent, Marvin...but everything I'm seeing is still pointing at a price of $27.99 for that exclusive at Target next week...

But from your lips...

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Mike Frezon said:
Hmmmm.  It wouldn't be without precedent, Marvin...but everything I'm seeing is still pointing at a price of $27.99 for that exclusive at Target next week... But from your lips...
Actually it looks like you are correct on this one. Sorry about that.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Bummer. I was hoping.

I misspoke before when I wondered if that Target Exclusive would be worth $5 more than the regular combo pack. But it's only $5 more than the combo pack at Target. It's actually $8 more than what the reg. combo pack will cost at amazon or Best Buy.

For that reason, I doubt I'll be getting the Target exclusive. I find I don't have a lot of time for bonus features.

JeremyLG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeremy
Mike Frezon said:
Hmmmm.  It wouldn't be without precedent, Marvin...but everything I'm seeing is still pointing at a price of $27.99 for that exclusive at Target next week... But from your lips...
If they lower the price, which I would be surprised if they do, I would take back my original purchase. Then purchase again at the lower price. Or see if they would just match and give me a refund for the difference. Usually one is rewarded to a point for getting it during release week since they offer the best sale and want a good showing in sales first week. I know the price may drop way down the line. But, I would rather grab it now than take my chances of it disappearing later.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the Target exclusive today. Really solid looking package; reminds me of many TV on Blu-Ray sets for density with four discs crammed in there.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

I picked up the Target exclusive today. Really solid looking package; reminds me of many TV on Blu-Ray sets for density with four discs crammed in there.

Not me. I picked up the three disc combo pack at a Wal-Mart for $19.96 and am sure I will be pleased.

I did pick up one of the four-disc packages at Target, though, Adam, and know what you mean about the nice packaging of those sets.

I also dealt with one of those stupid things you overhear while shopping for DVDs/Blu-rays. A guy is standing at the endcap with the HP films and is talking to his daughter on the phone: "I've got good news and bad news for you, honey. The good news is that they've got plenty of the Harry Potter discs. The bad news is that they don't have any in full screen...unless you want to get the blu-ray...but then you can't play it in your portable DVD player, right?!? I know you don't like the widescreen..."

There were so many things wrong with what the guy was saying that I considered intervening...but decided better of it and walked away.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks for sharing Mike. That actually made me laugh in an "it's so bad it's funny" kind of way. I picked up the Target exclusive and grabbed part I for $9.99 while I was at it. I haven't decided for sure if I will keep them. My wife suggested just renting it and waiting for the inevitable Ultimate Edition.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh Mike. I thought those conversations were in the past. Maybe you should have directed the guy to the VHS section...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I also dealt with one of those stupid things you overhear while shopping for DVDs/Blu-rays.  A guy is standing at the endcap with the HP films and is talking to his daughter on the phone:  "I've got good news and bad news for you, honey. The good news is that they've got plenty of the Harry Potter discs.  The bad news is that they don't have any in full screen...unless you want to get the blu-ray...but then you can't play it in your portable DVD player, right?!?  I know you don't like the widescreen..."
Was that a Target experience or a Walmart experience? My prejudices of shoppers have me leaning toward a Walmart experience. I had a bit of a surreal experience picking up the Target exclusive myself. I get to the rack with the new releases, and of course the slot for the Target version is empty, because Target never seems to shelve more than four or five copies of a title at a given time. I ask the cashier at the electronics section if they have any more copies in the back. He tells me he's pretty certain they're sold out, but he'll check after he gets a video game out of the locked case for a customer. By the time he gets back, another Target employee slips into the cash register island with two big cardboard boxes. Of course, it's Harry Potter. One box had the regular version, one box had the Target exclusive. She fishes out a copy for me, and I go to grab it. But she has me wait while she puts one of the clear plastic anti-theft cases around it before she hands it over. I walk five feet to the cash register, where the cashier removes the clear plastic case and rings me up. Undoubtedly, if she'd risked letting me hold the unwrapped package for the minute and a half it took for my turn to come up at the register, she would have gotten reprimanded by a manager.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
She fishes out a copy for me, and I go to grab it. But she has me wait while she puts one of the clear plastic anti-theft cases around it before she hands it over. I walk five feet to the cash register, where the cashier removes the clear plastic case and rings me up. Undoubtedly, if she'd risked letting me hold the unwrapped package for the minute and a half it took for my turn to come up at the register, she would have gotten reprimanded by a manager.
I bought the latest season of Mad Men at Target and the cashier couldn't open the case (which seems to happen about 75% of the time) and I jokingly made a comment about how it seemed pointless and time consuming to lock up Blu-rays when most DVDs that cost as much or more than Blu-rays aren't cased. She told me that the cases were on there to protect kids from objectionable content. I rolled my eyes but didn't bring up any logical points like "Mad Men, at worst, would be considered PG-13 material" or "Bambi was locked up here" or "How is something more objectionable on Blu-ray than DVD?" or "Even if there is objectionable content, how would a kid watch it while in a store". This lady had no say in the chain's policies but don't lie to me and make up some idiocy about the cases protecting kids.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Adam: I was at the Target in East Greenbush yesterday afternoon and the staff was putting out cardboard cases of Potter product there, too. Maybe our local stores got their shipments rather late?!?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My story isn't as good as any of these but Dad was in the Target area and picked up my copy of their version for me. The top of the slipcover is bent up slightly, which I imagine came about from the cashier removing the anti-theft cover, which is mildly annoying. Not enough to exchange it over, but, sheesh. It's fine to have it there, but good grief, they need to change something if it's starting to interfere with the packaging.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Target has easily become one of the last "go to" stores for those people wanting to buy physical media.

They really should figure out a better security system than one which features the clear plastic cases which damages the product and the spider-web security strings which also damage packaging.

And as Travis noted:

I bought the latest season of Mad Men at Target and the cashier couldn't open the case (which seems to happen about 75% of the time)

They really need to include special training for their front end employees on the skill-set of opening their own security devices. It is true that they either can't do it...or need to call over another associate to help them, etc.

OTOH, when I purchased my HP & Deathly Hallows Part 2 combo pack at my local Wal-Mart...you'll NEVER GUESS what happened to me when I walked out the Wal-Mart exit.

Yeah. Let's just say it wasn't the bananas which set off the security bells, alarms, whistles, etc....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
columbia30r
Recent bookmarks