What's new

5.1 on games? (1 Viewer)

ChristopherS

Second Unit
It amazes me how much people tout the 5.1 sound on the Xbox, when indeed most games don't even have a proper center channel. Pro-logic II does wonders with many PS2 games, and in some instances blows the socks of many Xbox games, in the sound department. It's a fact.
Many people support what Marc is saying about MOHF. It is amazing what software developers are capable of doing once the system has been out a couple of years and the libraries are updated. It should also be duly noted that Marc is comparing a release title for the XBOX to a title released in the second year of the PS2. There are now titles being released for the XBOX (still the first year) that take full advantage of the XBOX's DD 5.1 capabilities. Now if the DD 5.1 in a game like Brute Force (October 2002 release) does not completely blow away Dolby Prologic II I will be surprised. Dolby Prologic II is good, DD 5.1 is better.

Chris

Damien

Supporting Actor
well the reason sony didn't include 5.1 on PS2 is because home theater systems were still high when PS2 was designed. its very simple. you can't put that against sony, when they have shipped 30 million units they know what they are doing. 90% of gamers still play on a 19-20" bed tv with av inputs

in terms of online, it will work. just because you want to limit yourself to inferior console multiplayer is your choice.

as for sound we'll see when moh: frontline is released here in October for X-box and we'll compare. Pro-Logic can be used well at times, and i don't see PS2 ever using pro-logic 2. pro-logic is still very flawed. It depends how good the games soundtrack is. Most every PS2 to X-box port x-box is superior with custom soundtrack. I'm just saying if you have HT x-box is a better first-choice. if you are the run-of-the-mill gamer who has other places to spend there cash then PS2 is your choice

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I'm just saying if you have HT x-box is a better first-choice. if you are the run-of-the-mill gamer who has other places to spend there cash then PS2 is your choice
:laugh:
This is really getting ridiculous. Just as I thought it was starting to get a bit of sensible base, and the thread would die down... Just because you have a HT doesn't mean you should go buy an X-Box. If you don't like the software, you're wasting your time.

Damien

Supporting Actor
This is really getting ridiculous. Just as I thought it was starting to get a bit of sensible base, and the thread would die down... Just because you have a HT doesn't mean you should go buy an X-Box. If you don't like the software, you're wasting your time.
No really!?
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I don't see why you have to say that for, it isn't ridiculous its just some observations i made. So if you put thousands of dollars for a good system i would think you would want to take advantage of it. If you don't like the games X-box has then get a PS2, it's just the sound and visual presentation will not reflect the money you put in your HT.

Damien

Supporting Actor
I played this game at a friends house on a regular TV with no real audio setup and the sound was still really good. Not DPLII quality, but good. We'll see how it sounds in the outdoor Scootplex this weekend.
we'll see when it arrives on X-box in October, for now Halo's surround is still superior

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Plus the amount of players destroys regular console multiplayer(who has 4 x-box's and tv's lying around)?
This is already available on PCs, so I don't see how it's a big deal. And I would still rather play against someone in person than over the internet.

Damien

Supporting Actor
i'm not here to argue all of your opinions but there still is a few things I want to mention:

your opinon, but agian it sin't fair to bring PC's into the discussion, they have no bearing on the console market

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I dont know Nick. I personally am loving this line:
OK, but what about games besides multiplayer games? What about single player games, how will online gaming make them so much better than they already are?
There is a certain bizzaro world logic to it that is making my brain do complete circles in my head as I try to figure it out.
(PS Morgan, you know I'm only joking my friend:D)

ChrisV

Second Unit
Uhh, wasn't this thread about 5.1 sound in games? :confused:
I'll be buying my first new console since my N64 this weekend, I'll be buying an X-box this weekend along with Halo. I noticed Halo is in 5.1 surround and it got me to thinking about connecting the X-Box to my reciever, is it really worth it to play games in 5.1 surround or do they generally sound pretty bad?thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks