5.1 on games?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I'll be buying my first new console since my N64 this weekend, I'll be buying an X-box this weekend along with Halo. I noticed Halo is in 5.1 surround and it got me to thinking about connecting the X-Box to my reciever, is it really worth it to play games in 5.1 surround or do they generally sound pretty bad?thanks.

2. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Man I think that is the craziest question I ever heard. How can it sound bad if it's in DD? I don't think bad and DD are supposed to be in the same sentence.

Halo sounds awesome in DD, to hear the solders screaming in back of you when theres's an explosion is awesome.

3. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

TOTALLY worth it. And not very difficult. All you need to buy is the advanced (s-video) or HD (component) a/v pack and an optical cable. Both a/v packs have optical outs. Then you turn on the digital sound in your Xbox dashboard.

The games sound great in 5.1, if that option is available to you, you should definitely go for it.

In game 5.1 is one of the main reasons to get an Xbox, IMO.

4. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Put it to you this way Keith - in Halo, I can track enemies moving around me, all the while looking forward, because of the 5.1 mix. I also know when a Covenant dropship is in the area because my livingroom floor starts shaking. [​IMG]
    5.1 in games in general and, especially in Halo, [​IMG]

5. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

This (5.1) is one of the main reasons I'm trying to get an X-Box and a copy of Halo (with 4 controllers and a HD pack) for Scooterpalooza.

7. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

You're wrong [​IMG]

9. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

Some EA games on PS2 have in-game DTS, and a few games (The Bouncer and MGS2 for example) have DD in cutscenes. There's been no Dolby Digital 5.1 in actual gameplay yet.

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

DTS real-time on a console that isn't supposed to do it is still pretty good. The GameCube can't do DD5.1 either, but it has DPL2 which is still pretty good.

11. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

XBOX is the only system(aside from a PC) that can do realtime DD 5.1 without special software specific to the game, like the DTS games by EA(which sounded good, but not amazing). The XBOX has a DD encoder on its board, enabling realtime DD 5.1. GC has Pro Logic II, and Factor 5, the designers of the sound chip, say with work, they can make the chip do DTS, if only there were a digital cable.

12. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

PS2 cant do it with in game play?!!! That sucks!!! I know the cut scenes would do it, I thought they were just being dumb asses not putting the games in DD 5.1. I didn't know they were incapible.

Okay it's official now , Xbox kicks PS2'S ASS!!!!

I already stopped playing my PS2 because NO games are progressive and they look like SNES on my big screen, now your telling me I have no in game 5.1 sound!!! OH man, today is a sad day, today my PS2 finally died.

And I was looking so forward to SOCOM and Tekken4, the first games to be in 480p on PS2, not to mention online.

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Calm down lamarcus:

14. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

15. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

So it is possible!! Long as it can happen I will keep hope alive. These d!ckheads need to realize it's almost 2003 and people have HT's and are serious about them!!

At least Microsoft is up to speed with the times.

Medal of Honor frontline would have been so much better if it was 5.1 and not pro-logic.

Max Payne on the box was so much better than the PS2 version, it was 5.1, maybe that's why gamespot gave it a higher rating for the box, not to mention it looked a lot better progressive.

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

17. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

18. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I've heard that programmers can program the games for the PS2 in DD 5.1 but to do so would take up too much programming space or system capability or whatever (I'm no programmer) and to make a PS2 game DD 5.1 capable results in a game with shorter levels, fewer extras, less frills all at the expense of better sound, which is why few programmers choose to go in this direction. Because the X-Box has DD 5.1 capability internal to the console, programmers for this system don't have to compromise when doing the programming.

Again, I could be totally off base on this one...but I thought I read something regarding this once.

19. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

In BrianB's defense, he's a game developer, so I assume he knows more about making games than probably every member on this forum (unless someone else makes games, too).

From what I heard, DTS is done on PS2 on the software, whereas the X-Box does it on the hardware. The big problem is finding out how to do it and then being able to not give up all the processing power to doing JUST the 5.1. The space thing isn't really an issue since all the sound is done in real-time, but they have to take development time to create a way to do the DTS in real-time, and considering how few people out there own a HT as compared to how many can buy a PS2, it's not really worth putting all that time and effort into it.

And LaMarcus, just because every PS2 game doesn't do DD5.1 and 480p doesn't mean that they're bad. In fact, a lot of them are quite good. Consoles are made powerful as a selling point, but once you buy them, you need to buy games for them, so the only difference is essentially any future plans the company making the console has (like online gaming) and the games.