What's new

5.1 on games? (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Marcus, Brian DEFINITELY is a game developer and KNOWS what he's talking about!
I see you are fairly new to this forum. As you get to know some of the regular contributors, you will realize that many who post here have direct ties to the video game industry and usually have "inside" information to support their comments or remarks. By and large, they are not going to share that inside info with us :D, but if BrianB says it's possible to do DD5.1 on the PS2, you can pretty much bank on it...
Gary

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Marcus, Brian DEFINITELY is a game developer and KNOWS what he's talking about!
I have been a member for many years and while I do agree that BrianB usually provides great insite into the gaming world, his last post in this thread is rather rude and does not provide any answers. LaMarcus' statement is hot headed but to reply in a similar fashion helps no one.

I myself would like to know why all my XBOX games do not have proper DD 5.1 (seem to get DD 4.1 on many of them)? Is this a developers problem or a MS problem? Regardless I do hope this is corrected soon as DD 5.1 is one of the reasons I purchased a XBOX.

Chris

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
F*ck off. And I mean that in the best possible way.
The best possible way? You may be a developer, but you need to develop some people skills.

I don't give a shit if you develop games. Comments like that make your input here worthless, to me at least. LaMarcus is new here, and sure he's a bit excitable and maybe a little misinformed, but your response was uncalled for. Lighthen up.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
In BrianB's defense, he's a game developer, so I assume he knows more about making games than probably every member on this forum (unless someone else makes games, too).
There are definitely other developers on here who know more about graphics tech etc than me.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
BrianB, when you speak of libraries what do you mean? does that mean that newer presings of Halo may have this 5.1 problem fixed?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
BrianB, when you speak of libraries what do you mean? does that mean that newer presings of Halo may have this 5.1 problem fixed?
Libraries are the software "toolkits" provided by the likes of Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo & middleware companies to "do things" - it provides a layer of abstraction over the hardware & allows developers to get on with their jobs of making games. Developers get new system libraries when the software development kit gets upgraded from the likes of Microsoft or Sony. When they compile the game, the libraries needed get "linked" into the game executable.
So, no, newer copies of Halo will not have changed their libraries. I'm meaning newer games - as time goes on, the libraries for all three consoles will improve performance & fix bugs (in theory :) ). These changes aren't "retrofitted" into previously released games I'm afraid.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Brian-

Since you are developing a PS2 game right now, about how much power do you thinkg would have to be taken from the vector units in order to add DD5.1 and/or 480p to a game?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Since you are developing a PS2 game right now, about how much power do you thinkg would have to be taken from the vector units in order to add DD5.1 and/or 480p to a game?
Absolutely no idea. I don't have anything to do with such a decision.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Brian, my apologies to you, I didn't know you were a developer, or that any may read these post. I didn't mean anything by that statement, kinda like talking about someone and they haven't left the room yet.
But I did mean "dickhead" in the best possible way.;)
Anyway your a game developer? That has be the coolest job in the world, oh to dream.....
And it does make sense as to why PS2 hasn't put forth much effort to the HT aspect of game developing. But it just reinforces my comment of how XBOX KICKS PS2'S ASS!!
One because they had this base covered when they created the console. It just makes me wonder what the decision makers at Sony were thinking when they created this console.
There's so much that could have been done better, internet connectivity, four controller ports, DD, etc....I guess I just don't get it, but obviously MS did.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
, internet connectivity, four controller ports, DD,
I'm sorry, but if that's why you think the PS2 is so bad, you're in a minority. *L* I think internet play is highly overrated, MOST people rarely play more than 2 player games, and besides myself, I don't personally know anyone who has a Dolby Digital or DTS system, let alone one and a Playstation 2 or XBox. Sony didn't include the four controller ports or internet connectivity in an attempt to lower the price of the console itself. Not that it's any cheaper than an XBox, mind you, but I guess Sony's custom tech cost them more (at least according to them). But Sony did have to explain those 2 "missing" components on more than one occasion. Personally, I'm glad there's only 2 ports if it kept costs down, and the internet connectivity is a nice idea, so maybe I'll pick up a kit later.
I agree the X Box is a nice platform, but I don't think any of the current systems are completely dominant.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
*L* I think internet play is highly overrated, MOST people rarely play more than 2 player games
Well if they have a ps2 they don't have a choice to play more than two players any way. Unless they buy the multiport. If cost is the issue, why not include the multi-port in the original build and include the price. That way you would'nt know that you spend a xtra $30+. And believe me, when I played dreamcast all I did was play muli player games, nothing else. I think "most people" need to get some friends!(jus kiddin). As far as internet play being overrated, I've yet to find out, but from those who have, they say it's awesome.
Now don't get me wrong both Playstations have brought me plenty of happy gaming over the last what?....6 or 7 years. And I used to be a die hard playstation fan. But they are losing some serious points compared to Xbox. Once people step into the future with HDTV's, DD, DTS and such, they will realize when they look back that Xbox was with the times and PS2 wasen't.
ofcoarse this is all a matter of opinion. But when you line up the Xbox and the PS2 next to each other, pound for pound Xbox just has much more weight, I would love to see someone argue that.
Four controller ports
Dsl connectivity
720p-1080i capability (wow!)
Real time DD (with out game interference)
8 Gig hard drive:put music on it, play music during game.
None of that is on the PS2. Am I wrong?

JamieD

Supporting Actor
That way you would'nt know that you spend a xtra $30+.
That was Sony's point, according to them. Those who want it, can spend 30 bucks. Those who don't, don't have to. Much like Nintendo not including the RF adapter with the N64. Of course, Nintendo's assumption was that more people would not NEED the older RF box, but still, it's an example of lowering system costs (and increasing component sales) by separating parts.

Personally, I wouldn't turn down an X Box, but it doesn't have enough of the Software that I currently enjoy to make me go out and buy one. For those who have HDTV and a Home Theater System, or who think they either don't want a multitap, or are attracted by X Box's multiplayer games, and want to get online now, it is a great system.

But I don't even know why I keep discussing this anyways.

Buy the System that has the games/type of games you like. Don't buy for "future upgrades" (64DD anyone?), don't buy for "future releases" (Robotech, Crystal Dreams, anyone?), and sure as hell don't buy for "past reputation" (SNES vs. N64?), buy for the Current Generation system that YOU want, and evaluate it based on it's own merits and how they relate to your needs. (Which is why, despite the three disparaging comments I made above about the N64, I'm actually quite pleased with it, since I enjoyed the "Mario" style games, and the Rare FPS games, but several friends who were impulse buyers were less than overjoyed)

If to you, the PS2 is best, great, if XBox, great, Gamecube, ditto.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
It just makes me wonder what the decision makers at Sony were thinking when they created this console. There's so much that could have been done better, internet connectivity, four controller ports, DD, etc....I guess I just don't get it, but obviously MS did.
If you understand Sony's marketing philosophy, the current iteration of the PS2 makes perfect sense. Over the years, Sony has carefully made a name for itself as the preeminent manufacturer of consumer electronics in the world. Typically, a Sony product tends to be about a half-generation behind the competition. Look at their line of televisions, dvd players, etc. Their mass-market products (excluding the ultra high-end) tend to have fewer bells & whistles than the competition. (For example, a Sony DVD player might have one s-video port, while a comparable Panasonic player may come with two or three.)

In short, Sony markets products based on their reputation for build quality and product reliability. They have amassed a loyal customer base who look to the Sony brand as their "first choice" when making any kind of electronics purchase. Sony took this brand loyalty and parlayed it into a hugely successful launch into video games with the PlayStation. When all is said and done, part of the reason Microsoft has struggled a bit with Xbox is that the Microsoft name (despite being a wildly successful brand) does not conjure up the same kind of consumer confidence. I think this may be why you don't see a Microsoft logo in any of the Xbox tv ads, although probably seven out of every ten people know Microsoft makes the Xbox.

You don't see a built-in hard drive and Internet support in the PS2 because Sony correctly interpreted the wants and needs of its target market and designed the system accordingly. If millions of consumers ran out and bought every Xbox in sight, bypassing the PS2 in the process, then Sony would have guessed wrong. So far, that appears to NOT be the case...

Gary

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Four controller ports
Dsl connectivity
720p-1080i capability (wow!)
Real time DD (with out game interference)
8 Gig hard drive:put music on it, play music during game
The PS2 can use a keyboard/mouse combo, you don't have multitaps on the X-Box, it's not DSL on the X-Box (it's ethernet), the PS2 can do up to 480p (X-Box has yet to do 1080i), you can get DTS on the PS2, and you can just turn on a CD player if you really want to listen to your music. Oh, and the PS2's HDD (which you have to buy and is expensive, I know) is around 40 GB.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I also don't mean to interrupt but I just love how the headbang smiley has invaded the HTF. If anything we can thank Enclave for bringing that lil cute guy to us:D.

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
For anyone who doubts the sound capabilities of the PS2, give a listen the Medal of Honor Frontline, on a good Pro-Logic II capable system. Then tell me, with a straight face, it doesn't sound as good if not better than any Xbox game out there. Very active 5.1 channels, full 360 degree panning, INCLUDING A FRICKEN CENTER CHANNEL, and earth shaking bass. My Xbox(yes I do have one as well) has yet to impress me as much as this lowely PS2 game, Halo included. It amazes me how much people tout the 5.1 sound on the Xbox, when indeed most games don't even have a proper center channel. Pro-logic II does wonders with many PS2 games, and in some instances blows the socks of many Xbox games, in the sound department. It's a fact.

Marc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sbaker1991
Recent bookmarks