What's new
World Wide Stereo

5.1 Multimedia Powered Home Theater Surround Sound Speaker System TS512 Help (1 Viewer)

Juan Figueroa

Auditioning
Real Name
Juan
I'm a little confuse with this system. Where do i connect my DVD player? the confusion comes because DVD Audio input section have Front Left, Front Right, Center, etc. I know the speakers are connected to the Audio Output, my concern is about the input.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
This speaker system does not decode discrete 5.1 surround sound (like Dolby Digital or DTS). You must have a DVD player that is capable of decoding the audio into its separate channels, so that each channel can be fed individually to the speaker system.

Not all DVD (or Blu-Ray) players have these "multichannel analog outputs". Most DVD players have a digital optical or coaxial output that transmits the encoded 5.1 audio stream.

The speaker system does have simple analog stereo inputs (the AUX inputs at the top) and your DVD player SHOULD have stereo audio output, so you could use that, but you will not get surround sound.

In order to get surround sound, you will either need to replace your DVD player or get a different speaker system (one that has a digital input that matches your DVD player and can decode Dolby Digital and DTS audio formats).

I'm not aware of any standalone 5.1 audio decoders that aren't at least 10 years old. If you could find such a device, you could use that as an intermediary between the DVD player and the speakers, but really, that's not the right approach to take to try and solve your problem.

If you want to consider alternatives, what is your budget, and how many and what type of sources do you have (in addition to DVD) - cable/satellite? Game system - like PS3 or Wii?

Juan Figueroa

Auditioning
Real Name
Juan
I don't use game consoles, but i have Cable TV. Do you know any multichannel output dvd player? i can't find one.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Looking around it might be cheaper (and easier) to just get a Blu-Ray player with analog outs (I couldn't find any DVD players, either, but Blu-ray players will play any DVD no problem). Amazon has an LG model for $129. Analog outs is not usually seen on the cheaper models - it's generally found only on the mid- to upper-end players. I don't have any experience with LG players - I have an older Panasonic player with analog outs that I use in my system. I've been very happy with the player.

With your cable TV, you'll be able to do analog stereo only, using the AUX input on the back of the speaker system. You can connect your cable box stereo audio output directly to the AUX in on the speakers.

Juan Figueroa

Auditioning
Real Name
Juan
That LG have only two outputs, my Panasonic dvd playerrecorder have S-Video and 2 RCA output, but the problem or confusion is that the home theater in the box or mini home theater it have two parts in the back panel as the picture above. one part says Audio Output, so i connected the speakers there, but then is the other part with two rows of connectors L,R FL, FR CENTER, SW SL, SR all RCA style but my dvd player only have 3 RCA connectors (red and black for audio and yellow for video), no 6 independent connectors to connect to all the ones in the home theater system. I really don't care much about if the sound is100% high definition, DTS, ...etc, it would be just ok if when i'm watching movie 5.1 the speakers sounds.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Whoops - sorry, the Amazon description was worded funny and I thought it had the discrete outputs. Analog outs are harder and harder to find. Players with them seem to be close to $300.

If you connect your DVD player's stereo output to the speaker system's Aux input, then you are feeding a stereo signal which your speaker system may be able to process using Dolby ProLogic to create simulated surround sound (I say "may" because I can't find definitive information on those speakers).

If that works for you, then fine. Go with it. If you can find a way to feed a discrete 5.1 channel audio stream to the speakers, the results will be better.

If all you can do is stereo, you're better off sticking with the Aux input - it's possible that if you only feed, say, the FL and FR (front left and front right) inputs from the stereo outs on the DVD player the speakers will only play the front left/right speaker and may bypass the ProLogic processing.

The discrete inputs won't work for you unless you can find a way to feed all 6 channels from your DVD or Blu-ray player.

Juan Figueroa

Auditioning
Real Name
Juan
I kept searching and was lucky to found some Pioneer DVD players with 5.1 connectors with good reviews http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/619jztKzOjS._AA1500_.jpg with HDMI too and USB as a bonus. What you think?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think the 610 is the European version of the dv-48av sold in the U.S. I have one of those in transit. This looks like a great dvd player for those wanting to try DVD-A and SACD. Decent specs and a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks