What's new

5.1 Logitech Surround Sound with PS3? (1 Viewer)

wikizilla

Auditioning
Real Name
r c
Hey everyone,

First off, let me say I'm new to surround sound and audio equipment, and I appreciate your help. My current set up is a Samsung B650 with a PS3 connected with an HDMI cable. The room is fairly square-like and is 380 square feet. I would like to add a basic, no frills, beginner sound system such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Speaker-System-Subwoofer/dp/B000JJM8XE

The first question is: How would I go about setting up the Logitech system with my HDTV and PS3? I'm pretty sure I would be using the standard RCA red and white inputs on the back of my TV, since the Logitech doesn't appear to support Digital Optical cables. These are the cables that the Logitech comes with:

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5415/31ptu1zqehl.jpg

However, I would have to use the RCA to Green mini-jack converter. On this part I'm somewhat confused because I can't connect to the orange and black cables, only the green. How would this impact the surround sound? Would it even work? And how would the PS3 detect and output 5.1 surround?

The second question is: Do you think this system would be appropriate for my situation? I don't want Bose quality, but I want a good sounding system. From the reviews, it seems to be the right balance. I know it's a PC surround system, but I know many people have used it for their HDTV.

Please help! Everything is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by wikizilla

I don't want Bose quality,
None of us want something that sounds that bad. But this system won't do what you want. You have to decode the digital surround sound from your PS3 and this Logitech system doesn't have a decoder. it is designed to work with a 5.1 sound card that outputs decoded audio. There are other Logitech systems that will do what you want but they are significantly more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks