What's new

4k tv next but... (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I had a dehumidifier that died. I had an extended warranty with Best Buy (the failure happened in the second year of ownership). They sent out a tech to look at it and analyze the issue. He looked it over (said out loud he really didn't know what was wrong with it) and told me he had to send his report to Best Buy and that they would contact me as to how they were going to proceed. I guess he had to send in an estimate to repair to Best Buy and they make the decision to fix or replace. They sent me a store credit.

This is not so surprising because the cost of the item to them is much lower than what it costs us. We get stuck on the retail price, obviously as that is what we pay, but to them, their cost price is maybe half of that, or less? Add to that the fact that every "professional" out there thinks they are worth at least $100 per hour, it is more cost effective for them to replace a $200 humidifier than fix it, especially if any diagnosis needs to be undertaken. Imagine the cost if the unit goes into the shop for a week!
That must have been a larger unit, since most dehumidifiers fall under the "small appliance" category and can be returned for repair/replacement in store.

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
That must have been a larger unit, since most dehumidifiers fall under the "small appliance" category and can be returned for repair/replacement in store.
It wasn't that large, not a room but not a whole house either, but I imagine as it was done under extended warranty, they had more say than BestBuy did and we had to follow their procedures, if that makes sense???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks