What's new

43" RPTV Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Ken Cerce

Agent
I am trying to decide between two 43" RPTV's from Sony. The KP43T90 or the KP43HT20. The price difference is $600 at my local dealer. Is the 43HT20 worth the extra $600? Are 43T90 owners happy with their choices? What are the significant differences between the two? I know one is HDTV ready and one is not. Any other 43" RPTVs to consider? All inputs are welcome.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
The Sony to get is the newest one, the KP-43HT21 (I believe that is the #). It is an improvement over the earlier model, has 16x9 squeeze for DVD's, which is an absolute must for any set over 36 inchs and can be had for just 2 grand.
I played with one last Sunday at Sears and mighty impressed. It's the set I am recommending my parents buy this Fall when they go HDTV.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator
The 43HT20 is the latest model number. The differences over the 43T90 are quite significant. Firstly the ability to accept a HDTV signal, this may not be a big deal if you don't plan on getting/watching HDTV, but will make a big difference when you connect a progressive scan DVD player. As already mentioned, it will also take advantage of anamorphic dvd's with an automatic enhanced widescreen function. The set also comes with 2 HDTV inputs, so one for the dvd player, and another for a HDTV box.
Now the only thing that bothers me with this set is that, for me, I would need to get a stand with it. I think it sits too low on the floor for optimal viewing. The matching stand costs quite a bit from Sony, in Canada it's C$400!
eek.gif
Oh and the list for the set is like C$3,500. So that would make it C$3,900, before negotiations.
I bring this up because the Sony 53HS30 is a bigger set, but the additional cost is not much more. At least up north it isn't. It lists for C$4,000. Now if you've got the room this is a set to consider, or the 50H71 or 53HX71 Toshiba.
If you don't have the room, look at the new Toshiba's, the 43HX71 is a very nice set, this is a direct competitor model to the 43HT20. I don't what it sells for in the States, but it is about C$500 cheaper than the Sony set in Canada. Again, you'll need to buy a stand for it.
------------------
Paul Wu
"There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
Good day, eh, for those that would like to see Strange Brew released on dvd, please click here, and add your name, eh.

Ken Cerce

Agent
I agree that the 43ht20 has a significant amount of features for the money. My concern is connecting future HDTV cable boxes to it. I read that Cablevision is going to an HDTV box with digital HDTV connections. This would leave me in without the future compatibility.
I considered the 53HS30 for $200 more than the 43HT20 but I need the stand to put all my gear in. My space is limited.

Lorne Chisholm

Auditioning
Does anyone know if the KP-43HT20 has separate picture controls for each input? Seems to me that's one of the most important features on an HDTV-ready set.

Lorne

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The Sony doesn't have input specific picture settings. It does have 4 sets of user adjustable settings, which can be toggled thru with one button on the remote. This is handy if some of your cable or satellite channels have different color and black levels than others. Tosh does do input specific settings, but there's only one user changeable set of adjustments for each input. So if you change channels and the color's too high or the picture's too washed out, ya gotta go into the menu and change things.
Sony's method also lets you store different settings for different lighting conditions, and use 'em all for any input. I like this as I watch dvds and HD at night in a fairly dim room, but need brighter settings for watching the news or whatever during the day.

Lorenzo K

Agent
I'm in the same boat myself. Can't decide between the kp-43ht20, the kp43t09 and the 43hx71. Which one is better in your opinion. Help pls.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I bought a Toshiba 42H81 a few months ago and couldn't be happier (unless it turned magically into the current model, the 42H82!).

I'm kinda burned out on the widescreen vs. 4:3 screen debate at the moment (you lucked out) but I just can't see buying an "old" 4:3 TV since it's all moving toward 16:9.

My standard spiel: Buy for the source material you care about most, not just what you watch the most. In this transitional period, you'll be making compromises as you switch among sources (bars on the top and bottom, vs. bars on the sides, for example), so make the compromises where they hurt the least. Get the best picture you can for the material you love the most.

Cheers,

Jan

Dave Campigotto

Auditioning
I have the Sony 43HT20 and love it. I recently calibrated it with Avia and was amazed at the improved PQ over what I thought was already great. I did not have to buy a stand as I modified an existing entertainment center to handle it. But it is definitely a tabletop model.

Lorenzo K

Agent
Paul,

Where did you find the 43hx71. I looked around and found that they are listed at C$3000 compared to C$2799 for the sony kp43ht20. I haven't negotiated about the price since i'm still looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks