1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

43" CRT tube???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DorianBryant, Apr 23, 2004.

1. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Hello,

I have heard rumors that Samsung is going to be marketing a 43" crt based tv. Anyone know of any companies that may try to top the Sony 40"?? I am hoping anyway. I am waiting a couple years to see whats out and I want to make a serious investment. I have a 36" Toshiba that will do until then!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This is news to me, and it makes one wonder. The KV-40XBR800 already pushes the limits of practicality at more than 300 pounds. Consider all that bulk, too. A 43-inch direct-view simply is too much.

3. Darren_C

Darren_C Agent

Loewe makes a 38" widescreen CRT directview at "only" around 200 pounds. I also doubt we will be seeing larger sets. Not only because of size and weight, but even at these sizes you start to have more issues with geometry and color/brightness uniformity.

With a couple more generations of improvements and cost reductions, plasma and other technologies will be a much better investment than any large CRT. I like my Loewe picture quality, but in retrospect I think I would have waited another year or two for a plasma...

4. Andrew John

Andrew John Auditioning

Hi i just bought a sony KVHR32 widescreen hdtv compatable crt and that weighted 70kg or 154 pounds due to it's bulk and length it was a mission getting it inside my mate and i were glad i didn't go for the KVHR36 88 kg or 194 pounds.Going bigger you will never lift it.In my humble opinion.

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

For one of Sony's Anniversary's they made a 43" 4x3 tube in very limited supply & they said that was the biggest that a 4x3 CRT could ever be made. Guess they were trying to top the 40" Mitsubishi & if I remember right the Sony sold for around $20,000.00 "Ouch" I think the weight was over 300 lbs.? Maybe someone else remembers this model & will chime in. I saw the set once in a repair shop in Philly & the set belonged to a woman who's son was a top Sports Figure who Sony had given him the set because he had done some commercials in Japan for them & he gave it to his mother. I never did see the set working because they were waiting for some part from Sony & they said they could'nt tell me who the owner was but they did tell me they rented a small forklift to get it out of the house & to the shop [​IMG]

6. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Yeah - just dont forget that those Sony's w/ their Trinitron tubes weigh like an additional 15-20% more than their same size counterparts from other companies.

Oh yeah, and with those larger sets, I'm sure the 15khz sweep will be that much more pronounced. [​IMG]