What's new

4 Ohm speaker with digital amps question (1 Viewer)

GregBe

Second Unit
I just purchased a pair of Polk LSi7 bookshelf speakers. They sound great on my system, but I am worried about the impedance. These speakers are rated at 4 Ohms. I currently have a H/K DPR-1001 receiver which is their digital amp model which only has 50 watts per channel. I know H/K is very conservative on their power ratings, but still... Everything I have read on the LSi's has said to not use receivers and to use seperates or a receiver with very high power to handle the 4 Ohms.

I have read through a lot of posts on impedance, and most have said that the only problem with lower impedance is the amp can quickly overheat which can cause the receiver to go into protection mode and/or clip the speakers.

The H/K is designed to handle 4,6 or 8 Ohm speakers. My question is since my receiver has digital amps, and does not run hot by design, would I in effect not have a problem running 4 Ohm speakers, because the design of the digital amps?

I would rather stick with my current speakers and return the Polks, than risk ruining the receiver or speakers down the road.

Thanks
Greg

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
If your H/K is designed to handle 4 ohms then you should have no problem. You say the combination sounds good, so that's all it matters. The fact your receiver is digital, should not be a factor. If it plays loud enough for you with its 50 watts then by all means enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks