What's new

3802 owners with external amps.... (1 Viewer)

Eric T

Second Unit
I've been thinking about getting a 2-channel external amp for music or even a 6/7-channel amp for HT. Just wondering if you've noticed a big improvement by doing this, and if so, what amps you are using.

I've never used a stand-alone amp before, so I'm not sure if there's much to be gained. I'm sure a $5000 amp would make a difference, but I'm thinking of something I might be able to get for $1k or less (used if necessary).

Yogi

Screenwriter
Even a $300 Rotel, B&K or a Parasound amp will make a remarkable difference in 2 channel sound of the 3802. For $1000 the difference will only be that much better. The 3802 has a very nice preamp section. I'd say go with the amp upgrade you wont regret it.

Eric T

Second Unit
Yogi, are you using an external amp? If so, which model? What sonic differences did you notice with your upgrade?

I've looked around, and found a used Classe CA-101. I've heard good things about this brand. Anyone out there using this amp?

Also found a Parasound 855A. 5 channels is a plus, but I'm wondering if 85 WPC @ 8 ohms will really be an upgrade for the 3802.

Robin Casady

Agent
I was running a 3802 and decided to upgrade to an Outlaw 950 and 770 amp. The amp arrived several months earlier than the 950. So I used the 3802 as a pre. It made a big difference. Notes were much clearer and cleaner.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I can't comment on how much of an improvement adding an amp would make because I have always used a 5 channel Carver 705 amp with my 3802 (from day 1.)

What I can say is that the 3802 and amp combo sounds great. The 3802 works very well as a pre-amp/processor...

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
I added a Adcom GFA-7400 (5 x 100) amp to my 3802 and found it to be a great upgrade. H.T. has all the slam required for dynamic soundtracks (See Blade 2) as well as the subtle side (Se7en). You will find that the biggest improvement will come from your music. The soundstage opened up and the imaging really improved. Listening to Diana Krall, her voice now seems to float between the mains. Highly recommended.

Yogi

Screenwriter
The soundstage opened up and the imaging really improved. Listening to Diana Krall, her voice now seems to float between the mains. Highly recommended.
Thats exactly what I heard when I added a Proceed 2 ch amp to my 3802. The sound stage opened up. The imaging got precise and rock solid. The bass was more defined and taut. Now I am looking to add amplification to the remaining 3 channels (in my 5.1 setup).

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
I just sold my 3802 since the 950 finally arrived. I was using a Citation 7.1 to power my Diva 6.1's and a Acurus a200x5 to run the C3, R3's and 2.1's. It made a big difference compared to running the speakers through the Denon. Even my girlfriend noticed a big difference using the two external amps.

Good luck

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I don't own a 3802(only demoed), but as far as the Parasound goes, I use the 855a w/my Yamaha HTR-5280 and it's 85 watts blows away my Yamaha's 100 watts. It also blew away the amps in a Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX receiver I had for about a week. So don't let the power rating fool you. I think any seperate amp would be an upgrade to almost all receiver amps.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
For less than a $1000, start looking at the Parasound HCA-1205A (140x5) instead of the 855A. I picked one up at UBID for $620 two months ago to mate with my 3802. Phenomenal improvement. Imaging was so precise and the sound became so clean and quiet. Best purchase for me.

Eric T

Second Unit
Thanks for the responses. Sorry I've been away for a day or so. I am currently using Polk speakers, but I have Rockets (750/200/300) coming in a week or two, which is why I'm thinking about upgrading my front end.

You know, the comments you've made about imaging sound familiar...I was saying the same thing after upgrading my Yamaha 5240 for the Denon 3802. I thought that the center speaker was playing, until I got off the couch and went to check it.

I am keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a used amp. The only thing I'm not sure about is if I should just go for a 2-channel amp, or a 5-channel. Actually, I'm leaning towards a quality 2-channel, since I'm satisfied with HT performance, and I'm just looking for a way to improve music quality.

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't trade my Citation 7.1 in for anything under 2 grand. When it is in dual bridged mode, it is truly a killer amp. I have seen them for as low as $800 used. It could also be used as a 2,3 or 4 channel amp.

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Denon AVR-882. It has 4 pre-outs (L/R/C/LFE). I plan on getting the Parasound HCA-1205A. My fronts are Bi-amp/wire-able, so I'll use 2 channels for L/ 2 channels for R and 1 channel for the center. I'll let the Denon drive the rears (and since its only the rears, the reciever amp will not be taxed in the least).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks