What's new

3802 goes into STANDBY mode- (1 Viewer)

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
so my new 3802 was running great for about a week.. now when i turn it on, it comes on- but then goes into standby mode... should i return it- or is there a way to check it before i send it back? should i try a system reset on it? if so.. how do i do that? has anyone else had a similar problem??? thanks-
peter

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I have a Denon AVR-65 that did it last year. I think I blew the system. I sent it in to an authorized dealer who repaired it as their warranty stated and sent it back at no charge, fixed. It is now my bedroom system.

In you owners manual under trouble shooting is the instructions on how to restart the system.

Good luck!!!

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
i dont think i'm going to try to have this one fixed... if its this faulty within one week... i'm just going to have it replaced.
p

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
i'll try it tonight and update you guys... first thing i'll do is disconnect EVERYTHING from the receiver and see if it still comes up on standby- if so... its out the door.
p

Paul Beck

Agent
Have you tried making sure that the remote shows "AMP" in the readout window?
I found the remote an extreme annoyance until I decided to use my other remotes and leave the 3802 remote on "amp" and only use the yellow and blue buttons at the lower portion for choice of input and audio.
Now I am very happy with the 3802 and have found its sound to be excellent.
If you have set to other then "amp" strange things happen on this remote - I went back to the dealer the day I got it and they said just what I mentioned above. Denon needs to rethink that remote!

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
paul..
i'm not TOOOO sure that it was on amp.. i can almost guarantee that it was. nonetheless, why would the receiver go back to standby mode. i even turned on the receiver using the old fashion 'walk up and turn it on' routine, and it still went out.
p

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Mine is also doing this after about 8 months of use. ALL spekear wires have been disconnected and I tried the reset, but still no luck........

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
so- i'm not crazy... this is an actual problem that people have. mike- did you ever get it to go back to normal??? i mean, did it go into standby mode before and then were you able to correct it somehow? i have no idea why it would do this. i'm running 2 8ohm speakers, and an svs sub... very odd indeed.
p

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Mike,
All those Klipsch Legend speakers burned it up:D .
Peter,
I agree, exchange it for another if you can. BTW, was the amp properly vented and were you listening at above reference levels?

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Peter and Mike, may I ask if you guys bought your 3802s from an authorized dealer? I noticed that someone else started a thread very similar, but he said that his was bought from an unauthorized dealer. I am looking to purchase this receiver by the end of the week from an authorized dealer and I'm hoping not to have any of these problems. Thanks.

Mike

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Mike_Morgan,
Authorize dealer is the way to go...one other item that may or may not be important to you is that the authorized replair place for Denon om the East Coast, I think, is in Tidewater. I sent a product to them over Christmas and they fixed and returned it almost to the day they said they would. I spoke with them over the phone and they were polite with absolutely no problems. Kinda nice to see that these days.
My Denon blew because I did not have proper ventalation and was driving it almost at MAX:D , my fault. They still covered the repair through the warrenty 16 months after purchase:D

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Phil,
Thanks for the input. I am definitely planning on getting it from an authorized dealer. I wouldn't think twice about it. I was mainly curious if these people that were having problems with their 3802s had bought from authorized or unauthorized dealers. That could explain some of the problems that are being brought up around here.
That's comforting that the Denon repair place is in the Tidewater area. That should make any repairs fairly quick for me if I ever have any problems :)
Mike

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
I was mainly curious if these people that were having problems with their 3802s had bought from authorized or unauthorized dealers. That could explain some of the problems that are being brought up around here.
One might further inquire as to whether of not the dealer was authorized, but not authorized for internet sales. I'd have a hard time understanding how a dealer would have a stack of defective units for the internet and another stack of good units for in store and/or phone sales.

jdg

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
ok-
my brother is retarded. he just didn't crank the volume up enough... he had it at around -40... of course, no sound, and he assumed it had blown... funny thing is- he had the dimmer set to turn off 5 seconds later... so, he just assumed it was turning off. i went over there and laughed... scoffed at the boy, and kissed my prizeworthy denon for the prank it had played on a 22 year old punk.
p

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Wish I was that lucky. My display will NOT come on at all. Just goes into the blinking STANDBY mode.

Authorized or unauthorized dealer I "assumed" that they all came from the same Denon plant and had the same quality, or lack of. Perhaps I was wrong.

I bought mine at LGD Superstore on-line. Their site states full warranty via the manafacturer, yet Denon doesn't list them as an authorized dealer. Of course last year I wasn't really up to speed on all of that when I made the purchase.

I'm trying to go through LGD to get the warranty worked out, but am NOT holding my breath on that one. I'll probably ended up forking over the $$$ out of pocket at a repair center.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks