What's new

3 great films from Image: Lady For a Day, Lionheart & Careful He Might Hear You (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I've finished reviewing a trio of discs from Image, all of which I'd never heard of before, and all of which are excellent films! I wouldn't normally post about them, but these deserve t be looked at, and I had never heard of any of them before I got them.
The first is Frank Capra's Lady For A Day , the precursor to 5 time Oscar winner It Happened One Night. This is a great old time fairytale story of a street vendor who is transformed in order to ensure her daughter's happiness.
The second is the truly inspirational Lionheart: The Jesse Martin Story . You're 17 years old, with very little sailing experience. You have a dream of sailing solo around the world. You get sponsorship in place and set sail on a 328 day journey, not touching land again for 11 months. This is a video diary of the trip, and is spectacular! Young girls are going to love this kid, but the film is great for any age.
The third (which will be up tonight) is Careful, He Might Hear You which I requested due to its Australian origins. What a fanatastic film! Great cinematography, an awesome cast and a great story of a 7 year old orphan caught in a custody battle between his wealthy aunt and his working class guardians. The children in this film act wonderfully, and it swept the Australian equivalent to the Oscars. I highly recommend this one for anyone who likes well acted, coming of age dramas. This is one superb film.
[Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on November 08, 2001 at 03:39 PM]

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I've always really liked Careful, He Might Hear You and had no idea that it was being released to DVD.
Thanks for the info Jeff!
"My name is Bill"
------------------
Link Removed

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jeff,
In regard to "Lady for a Day" did you know that this film was remade by Capra in 1961? The name of remake is "Pocketful of Miracles" which starred Bette Davis, Glenn Ford, and Hope Lange. Both films have a terrific cast of supporting actors. The remake's cast included a young Ann-Margaret in her film debut, Peter Falk, Thomas Mitchell and a host of who's who in character actors. By the way, "Pocketful of Miracles" is also out on dvd released by MGM.
The first film is more critically acclaimed but I enjoyed the second film just as much, probably due to the film's cast of actors.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Robert, yes I noted that in the review, and also that POM was Capra's last film. I haven't seen that version yet, but it is somewhat derided in Frank Capra Jr.'s commentary as being inferior to the original, though Dave the Dude's character is more fleshed out. I think it would be hard to top Lady For A Day.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | DVD reviews at dOc

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The Careful, He Might Hear You review has finally gone live (link in the first post). This is one great film.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | DVD reviews at dOc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks