What's new

3:2 Pulldown on a DVD player??? (1 Viewer)

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I think I've got the whole 3:2 pull-down straight on TVs--the TV squishes the screen down so a to provide better resolution in the area where the image of a wide-screen DVD is going to be displayed. If that's correct than what does 3:2 pull-down on a progressive scan DVD player do? I've seen the pull-down feature on analog TVs but I have yet to see a DVD player that can do it and is not progressive scan. Do only progressive scan players have this feature? Why is that? And what does it do? Can someone clear all this up for me please?

Thanks,
Scott

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
OK, I think I've got the whole 3:2 pull-down straight on TVs--the TV squishes the screen down so a to provide better resolution in the area where the image of a wide-screen DVD is going to be displayed.
Sorry, but that has nothing -- zero -- to do with 3-2 pulldown. 3-2 pulldown describes the process whereby film at 24fps ("frames per second") is converted to video at 30fps. To oversimplify: Every 4 frames of film is converted into 5 of video by repeating frames in an alternating 3/2 pattern.
The link provided by Kevin W will help. Here's another one:
http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_...2_pulldown.htm
M.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You're confusing 2:3 pulldown with the so-called "squeeze trick" on certain 4:3 televisions. As Michael notes, the two are completely different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks