What's new

DVD scaling and 3:2 pulldown... (1 Viewer)

matt:hen

Auditioning
Greetings again!

I'm looking at DVD players and I have a question. I was looking at the Denon models and the 1910 is listed as scaling but doesn't list 3:2 pulldown detection.

the 1910 boasts a new decoding engine, which made me wonder if the 3:2 detection is no longer needed for that model.

Just to make sure I have the terms straight:

Progressive means that images are shown in full from top to bottom, not alternating half images (interlaced).

3:2 means that it automatically detects when the signal is at a different frame/second and essentially recreates the "right" image to display progressively.

Scaling means that it is "increasing" the resolution of the image to match the display's capabilities.

John S

Senior HTF Member
In the manual on Page 11 it references it as DCDi....

"The DCDi (Directional Correlational De-Interlacing) system of this DVD player produces smooth and natural video images, even if really dynamic, by eliminating the jagged edges. *"DCDi is a trademark of Faroudja, a division of Genesis Microchip Inc."

This is 3:2 pulldown and a lot more from what I understand.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yeah, the dcdi chip is pretty good, but i think the one this player uses has some macro-blocking issues, which from what i understand, is pretty common in players that use this chip.

matt - check out this link ... it has a good review of what the 1910 can do.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...#DenonDVD-1910

edit - forgot to mention i owned the samsung dvd player that had the dcdi chip. i can *definitely* say the jaggies were less pronounced. it was subtle, but there.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
3-2 pulldown detection and retention is normally done first and is essentially still needed, the DCDI enhancements done second, and scaling done third.

I guess that the DCDI enhancements and scaling are better done at the same time but the way the processing is done in the different chips suggests these tasks are separate.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks