What's new

2way vs 3way (1 Viewer)

KyleGS

Second Unit
I am about to build a pair of stereo speakers. I plan on using the Morel MDT30 and a Vifa 21w020 8in driver. I will have Madisound design the x-overs on the LEAP software and construct them for me. My question is: Will the response of these two drivers cover (or be flat) all frequenices well? Are three ways superior to 2ways in most situations? I am a little nervous that a mid that can play 2000hz will also be playing 50hz. I have a sub but plan on just running two speakers only in a pure stereo application. Should I go another route and put another driver in there and send lower freqs to a woofer? I really want a simple yet high quality 2 way- is this possible? Thanks---Kyle

Bob Christensen

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle: You have only two drivers, so a 3-way is not an option. Plus, you stated that you already have a sub that you will be using, so, in effect with 2 way mains and your sub XO, you will have a 3-way system, ultimately.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you are using 8" woofers, you might want to have Madisound shoot for 6th order L-R filter response to minimize beaming from the 8" woofers (it happens when you play them at a higher frequency then they were design to play "cleanly).

Have them also provide around 3dB of baffle step compensation, or they'll sound too weak on the bass.

Todd Shore

Stunt Coordinator
In my opinion those woofers start to lose it above 600-700Hz. They still sound good, they just don't sound wonderful.

In my system I use the VIFA P13 to handle duties above 700Hz which allowed me to crossover the tweeter higher resulting in a much cleaner midrange.

(Mine are using active crossovers.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks