What's new

2D to 3D Conversion (1 Viewer)

UTHTNoob

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh Ray
Some of the projectors I'm looking at mention 2D to 3D conversion. Is that what it sounds like? Can it take any 2D feed and convert it into 3D? If you've used this feature, do you think it is worth paying extra for? Or is it just a gimmick with poor results?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It is a gimmick with mostly poor results. What it is trying to do is simulate depth "on the fly."

Some of the better 2D to 3D conversions were painstakingly created by trained artists using complex equipment. Disney's "Lion King," "Beauty and the Beast," and "Nightmare Before Christmas" are some of the best conversions, yet they took months, if not years, to complete.

UTHTNoob

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh Ray
Okay, that's good to know. Are you saying that 2D to 3D is something that happens before it hits my projector? When I read it, I got the impression that I could be watching ESPN in 2D, flip a switch on my projector, and have it in 3D. Is that incorrect?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
It is a mode on the projector - taking a 2D image (say from ESPN) and adding some software processing and creating a "simulated" 3D image. The ability to do this depends on a lot of factors, but the results will never be as good as an actual 3D source. Mostly they are trying to add simulated "depth" to the image. There will not be many (or any) of the come out of your screen effects that you can see with a real 3D image. You also have native 3-D sources (both TV and 3D-blue-ray) that uses special cameras and processing on the source side, not a program on the projector side to fake it...producing both depth and out of the screen effects.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Don't even factor that conversion into your projector purchase. It's a virtually worthless marketing feature.

UTHTNoob

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh Ray
That's kind of what I had suspected, but I thought I'd ask just to see. You guys are awesome, I really appreciate all of the help. I'm gonna have to invite everyone over for drinks and a movie when I get this thing built!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks