What's new

27" TVs with 16:9 Squeeze? (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I was wondering what 27" TVs have the 16:9 Squeeze available? I know that the JVC D series does, can you acess it through the regular series though? How about the Toshiba A41 or the Panasonic D11? I was hoping to keep the price around 300$ so I'm not slapping down the cash for a flat screen or wega.

Thanks

Adam

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I've read that Samsung TV's can do it from the remote, and that the new Toshibas (serial number ending in 2) will do it too, but someone just bought a new Toshiba and they didn't find any such feature. I think most, if not all, can do it from the Service menu.

David_D

Stunt Coordinator
Sharp has a 27" flat screen model that will squeeze through the user menus. Also, SVM can be turned off through the user menus. It may be beyond your price range, but it is under $500 at Best Buy.

You can also find a flat screen Akai (Samsung) at Sam's Club for around $380. It also squeezes from the user menus.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Saurav is correct. The Samsung TXL2791F DynaFlat does the squeeze via the remote control. There's a button named Picture and it cycles through Normal, Zoom, and Wide. It's a VERY nice feature. You don't have to do any menu surfing or go into the service menu.

Anamorphic squeeze is now a must for me. I paid $470 at Best Buy for mine. I haven't seen the Akai but I'm told that it's the same set.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Is it only the DynaFlat that does it? I read a review on audioreview.com where the guy said that all their TXK series TVs do it. Also, are all Akais and Samsungs the same, or only this one specific pair of models?
The more I research, the more confusing this gets :)

I recently purchased a samsung 27" (TXK2766 model I beleive) that does 16:9 from a button on the remote. It was about $250 on sale at best buy.

I happy with the set even though it's not perfect. I had to enter the service menu and make a lot of adjustments before I liked the picture. It seems to have the same service menu adjustments as the flat screen samsung. By following a post discussing service menu adjustments, I tweaked the picture and it looks fantastic.

This set doesn't have s-video (the not perfect part), but the next model up does. Since it's in a bedroom system, I don't really need s-videa and to be honest compared to the picture from a 32" Wega I don't see much reason to want it for a 27" set.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. I think I want S-video on a new TV, though I haven't actually verified the improvement over composite for a 27" set (and this will be my only TV, not a bedroom system). People seem to think it's an improvement, and some think that component video isn't much better than S-video at 27". Anyway, we'll see. That's good to know that the squeeze can be performed from the remote.

Where did you find the post/thread discussing what/how to adjust parameters in the service menu?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
thanks for the suggestions so far, do the Samsung/Akai have component or at least S video input. I would really like to have component input, but could possibly settle for S video if the squeeze is easy.

Adam

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Yes, the Samsung Dynaflat and it's Akai clone have noth Component and S-Video in addition to a few sets of composite inputs.

Greer_R

Agent
Jim_C

I can't find that model on samsungs site or on the bestbuy site...has it changed since the last model year?

EDIT: it appears it no longer has the F designation on the website, which is why the search was failing.

-Greer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks