Don't think you see the difference between comp. video and S-video on smaller sets?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Think again.

I've been meaning to post this for a few months now.

My bedroom unit is a three-year-old Toshiba CZ27V51--a really nice direct-view set with very accurate color rendition.

A few months ago, I purchased an entry-level Toshiba SD-2800 for the 27-incher as the basis of what will be a modest bedroom home theater. Since I had a couple of S-video cables lying around the house, I used one of them as the interconnect between the little player and the monitor.

Overall, I had been pleased with the nice, reasonably sharp picture, whether in 4:3 or by looking at a 16:9-encoded DVD via the service-menu raster squeeze.

But I happened on a really nice set of component-video cables for the combo--and the difference in picture quality is nothing short of remarkable. The colors are far more vivid and defined, without a hint of over-saturation. Further, text is much more clearly and cleanly rendered. One can actually use the term "filmlike" to describe this night-and-day difference in video quality.

Reason for posting this? Conventional wisdom has it that on small direct-view sets the differences between S-video signals and those produced via component-video cables are so neglible as to be unnoticeable. Untrue--at least on a quality set such as the Toshiba. It's a breathtaking improvement in picture quality.

Moral of the story? Don't go by what pundits in the A/V press often say. Always use the best interconnect, no matter how small your direct-view TV. And that even goes for 20-inch TVs with component-video inputs.

Thank you for your time.

2. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

What kind of cables are you using?

Right now, I am using 3 feet long Radio Shack gold interconnects between my Sony 36" XBR450 TV and my Panasonic DVD-RV31, which is right below it (I'm using the component output/inputs).

I am pretty skeptical when it comes to any claims of vast improvement with expensive component cables, especially with the very short distance I require (less than 3 feet). But I'm still willing to experiment and see for myself if there's any improvement...

3. Jack Briggs

Same kind as you, Allan--though I have Monster Cable running in the main system. I too am skeptical about ridiculously expensive internconnects. My issue, though, is with the contention that one cannot notice the difference between S-video and component video on a smaller set. You can.

4. Allan Mack

5. Jack Briggs

Amazing how dramatic the difference is, though, huh Allan?

6. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Interesting. Unfortunately, my TV doesn't accept any better than S-Video, otherwise I would have tried it. Would have liked the potential of a film-like picture, but it doesn't come out that way at all with the S-Video connection.
    Time for a new display [​IMG] .
    Doug

7. Allan Mack

8. Yannick Martin

Yannick Martin Stunt Coordinator

When I bought a 20" TV for my bedroom last year, I choose the Toshiba 20AF41 over the Sony Wega because of the component input for my old (1st generation!) DVD player (Toshiba SD-3006). It was my first experience with component input (I'm stuck with an old Mitsubishi 28" with S-video in the HT): I was blown away by the picture quality.

Even on a 20" TV, component IS better than S-video.

YM

9. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

I just hooked up a 27" Wega for my mother-in-law the other night. It's the top of the line model with 16:9 mode, SVM disable,etc and it was great when I hooked it up with component cables. Luckily she trusts me and bought the cables from the get go without question. I tried it with composite (didn't have S-Video cables right then) and the difference, exactly as Jack mentioned, are evident. When using the 16:9 mode, it became an enviable experience. I have a 32" Trinitron at home, which has blown away all my friends direct views for some time (thanks AVIA and HTF!). However, on that night, a magical thing happened - my wife fell in love with a TV (it was that much better than ours. I've never seen that before! Now she wants a Hi Def TV more than ever. Sounds great, and we are shopping for one to purchase in a few months, but she watches SO much 4:3 all day long (80% or more), and with my kids, that I'm scared to buy a projection unit due to the "bugs", let alone the widescreen/p&s burn-in concern. But that's another thread..
    I totally agree with Jack. And, more telling, my uninitiated 50 year old Ma-In-Law said that the 25 bucks on the cables was totally worth it. We're both convinced, Jackster!

Matt

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Hmmm, I never would have thought that there would be that much visible difference on the 20. I know personally I have witnessed great differences in bleeding, colour rendition and slight differences in sharpness but on the 84".

11. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

I didn't know people have said component wouldn't make a difference on a smaller TV. Since the difference is mainly color separation, it would help any size TV.

Now whether HD is needed on smaller televisions, that's something else. SLP VHS looks pretty bad on my 50", but put it on my junky 20-ish" and it looks fine.

12. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I've seen the HD MUSE on a 24" 16:9 screen when I was in Japan (at Narita's waiting lounge) about 10 years ago. It's stunning regardless of size.