16X9 Enhanced TV Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damon M, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Damon M

Damon M Auditioning

Sony and Samsung TVs both have 16 x 9 / Anamorphic squeeze features. Is there a quality difference between these two brands that anyone familiar with them can notice? Do any other TVs have this feature?

I ask this because I am looking for a 27" flat screen TV for my smallish living room, have about $550 to spend. I will be using component cables from my Toshiba SD2109 (still rockin') DVD player. I don't have cable, so I watch DVDs 99% of the time, which is why I think the anamorphic squeeze should be a feature on my TV. The TV that I get should last me for at least the next 6 years, so brand reliability is also very important.

So what do you guys think...Samsung Vs. Sony?

2. Jeff Swope

Jeff Swope Auditioning

I would have to say, go with Sony. I once bought a samsung GXTV (that video game TV with the built-in subwoofer they advertised so much 4 years ago). I was overall pleased with it, but the remote-sensor stopped working after just a few months. Conversely, my sister had a sony VCR that she NEVER cleaned which she watched for several hours a day. The thing performed flawlessly for 3 years! I'm not saying these trends hold true with ALL the equipment these companies manufacture, but in my experience Sony is superior.