Question about the 16:9 Enhanced Mode on Sony TVs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Patterson, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson Stunt Coordinator

The Sony KP43HT20 was delivered to my house yesterday. I've hooked it up to my Panasonic RP82 and the picture looks sweet. All is well thus far except for one little annoying oddity:
    For each Video input (ie. Video 1-6), there is a setting I can adjust for 16:9 Enhanced Mode. Normally, there are 3 settings: "Auto"(Default), "On", and "Off". However, when I hooked up the RP82 via component connection to the TV (let's use Video 5 as an example), the "Auto" selection disappeared. The TV's manual confirms this change, and that the default setting is now set to "Off". This means that when I switch to Video 5 to watch a 16:9 DVD, I have to go into the Options menu and manually set the enhanced mode to "On". This is fine and dandy the first time, but whenever I switch out of Video 5 and then switch back into it later, the Enhanced Mode has gone back to the "Off" default. It seems I have to go into the menu and do this every time I want to watch a 16:9 DVD through Video 5. Another interesting tidbit is if I turn off the progressive mode on my RP82 (ie. pressing the "Progressive Scan" button on the front of the DVD unit so that the light goes off), the TV automatically re-adds "Auto" to Video 5 and reactivates the Enhanced Mode if the DVD is 16:9.
    Is there any way to change the default value for the Enhanced Mode for Video 5&6 from "Off" to "On"? I know how to get into the service menu, but the choices seem to have expanded tenfold compared to my old 27" TV. I've seen some references to "VUSN", but will setting this cause all my Video modes to enable the vertical squeeze? I'd just like to change the default for Video 5 to "On", and still have freedom to turn it "Off" when watching 4:3 DVDs.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Ryan

2. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Ryan,

Congratulations on your purchase. I have been using the 43HT20 for a year and a half now, and I still think it is an awesome tv. Regarding the 16:9 mode issue, you are correct in noting that using a DVD player in progressive mode will disable the automatic 16:9 mode on the Sony--this is a quirk of this line of tv's from Sony. I have gone into the service menu to get rid of red push, SVM and other tweaks, but have never gotten involved with the 16:9 mode. All I can say is, if there is no service menu tweak, you'll find that having to manually turn on the 16:9 mode is merely a minor annoyance, not a real problem. When watching a DVD, it will become second nature to set the 16:9 mode, or you could of course set up a macro on a remote control to do it automatically. Enjoy the set--and just so you know, if you can get HDTV (I get it through Time Warner Cable), the 16:9 mode is automatically engaged, and the HDTV picture is phenomenal.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Yes it may be a pain, but not all DVDs require that a TV be sent into 16:9 mode. And the more that buy the format, the more this will be true for now. There is plenty of 4:3 DVD content out there. As a result ... this is a bug to some and perfectly normal to others.

Regards

4. Ryan Patterson

Thanks guys,

Jeff, you've had the TV for 1 1/2 years? That's interesting, I didn't realize the TV had been on the market for that long. Did they not release a 43" model last year(2002)?

While I do have a fair share of 4:3 DVDs (mainly TV shows), the majority of my DVD collection consists of 16:9 enhanced movies. I think I may try setting a macro for this on my Sony RM-AV2000 remote. It would've been convienent if they put a hot button for the 16:9 vertical squeeze on the TV remote, much like the widescreen TVs have a "Wide" button on their remotes. Ah well, as you say it may become second nature after a while anyway, and considering its rewards (the picture is incredible) the problem is really small potatoes.

Cheers,
    Ryan

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I vaguely remember seeing that the latest Wegas do have a "wide" button on the remote, as well as a "DVD" button. this would be the KV-DR line, don't know whether you guys in USA have the same thing or not, or if it's labelled something else.

I wish. with my old clunker (KV-ES29M61), I have to press the "video in" button 5 times to scroll through 4 video in channels to get to the DVD (component input) channel. and fiddle with the "menu" to set anamorphic squeeze. sigh.

6. Ryan Patterson

7. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

8. Andy Polo

Andy Polo Stunt Coordinator

9. Ryan Patterson