16:9 mode: Why isn't it more widely available?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt C, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Matt C

Matt C Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    Quick question for all of you: The 16:9 enhanced mode seems to only be widely available with the Sony WEGA televisions. I've been trying to figure out why other companies (Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC) aren't including this feature on their sets. Sure, I know that you can usually go into the service menu to force it into a squeezed screen, but I have to tell you, automatic squeeze or the user menu squeeze is extremely handy, quick, and user friendly. I know some of the larger tv sets with other companies have the mode, but why not smaller? Such as the 27" Tau, I'Art, or other flat-screen tvs. Any ideas? Sony has been throwing this feature out as a major selling point for it's WEGA, so why haven't other companies jumped on the bandwagon? I mean, it can't be that hard to add this feature to the user menus, can it?

I'm going to be purchasing a 27" very soon, to upgrade from my 20" Panasonic Panablack (CT-20D20B if anyone cares, CRAP television, extreme geometry problems, pincushion, tilt, other extreme problems, you name it, I've got it (example: the sword sticking in the ground at the end of Braveheart looks like an "S", not straight - thus far impossible to fix, and Panasonic refuses to admit there is a problem, though my uncle has an identical television with the same exact problems; makes me not want to spend my money on Panasonic anymore...) In any case, enough of my ranting on that point. I want a 16:9 mode available through a user menu, so why don't more companies offer this feature? I'm not sure I want to go with Sony, due to all the problems I've read about on this board with the picture, even on the newest models. Anyone know of some new models coming out offering this on 27", non-HDTV flatscreens?

-Matt C

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

At first I thought that 16:9 mode was a no-brainer, just putting the pot for the vertical size on the front panel with a knob. (Every TV has that in the rear, often with a hole in the cabinet to insert a screwdriver to adjust it.)
    But 'come to learn that more is really needed. The TV needs a second group of settings (memory) for convergence, geometric distortion correcting, etc. for its 16:9 mode. FOr those TV sets that rely on magnetic rings on the picture tube neck to accomplish these adjustments, it is a complicated issue possibly resolved with one compromise setting for both 4:3 and 16:9.
    Not to mention that many TV sets without 16:9 mode still have not so good convergence and geometric linearity.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Matt,
    The JVC flatscreen 27" set does have the 16/9 mode, I was told it was automatic by the salesman at GG. I was looking at a Sharp flatscreen 27" at BB last week, and it had a 16/9 mode buried in the user setup menu.

4. Matt C

Matt C Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    Thanks for the info Allan, I guess that it isn't easy as I first thought to include a 16:9 mode! Steve, thanks for the info on the JVC and Sharp TVs. The JVC switches for any anamorphic signal, correct? Not just a hi-def signal?

-Matt C

5. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

Just for the record, my 27" Wega has no problems with the picture. It is simply georgeous. Sharp, bright and accurate colors.[​IMG]

6. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

My 27" Samsung has a widescreen mode, as do other larger Samsungs.