What's new

27" Sony WEGA - Video problem - Please Help!!!! (1 Viewer)

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought the 27" Sony Wega KV-27FS100 TV. I use GE 12 ft Component cable to hookup my Sony DVP-C660 DVDplayer.

I fixed the oversqueeze problem thru the service menu for the anamorphic squeeze, and the picture looks perfect.

However there are two remaining problems that bother me:

1. During slow moving scenes in a movie, I notice that the movement is not smooth but jittery. Here are a couple of examples:
  • In any movie from Universal Studios, the opening screen where the "Universal" logo slowly spins around the globe is jittery and not smooth.
  • In the movie, "The Ring", in the scene (chapter 2) where they show the boy drawing pictures with his crayon, I noticed the crayon movement was blurred, while in my old 27" TV, the movement was smooth and I was able to see the details on the black crayon, like pits and notches on it's surface.

2. The second problem I have is that, while calibrating with AVIA, I noticed that straight lines appear bent in the top 2 inches of the screen.

Any advice? Should I call Sony or should I return the set? Do all Wegas have these problems?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Motion jitter and stairstepping, jagged diagonal lines are something you will have to live with as long as you have an interlaced-only display. The solution for those artifacts is progressive scanning with 2:3 pulldown. As for the geometry issues, that's another service-menu task (many WEGA units have geometry problems).

Jack!! help me!!!

I just bought the new Toshiba 30hf83c HDTV to go with my marantz dv6200 DVD player and the decription of problems you are saying is what I see in my TV running in progressive with a 2/3 pull down active with AR master series component cable. Video games are amazing but my DVD movie seems to have blurr with moving background.

Guitar strings of the guitar player in Diana crowl concert (live in paris) are all "jagged"

please help.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please remember that fuzzy images on moving backgrounds are inherent to film itself. Look closely the next time you're in a commercial theater. As for the Diana Crowl concert disc, chances are it's sourced from straight video (I haven't seen the disc, but most concert discs originate from video sources), in which case 2:3 pulldown won't engage (as it's intended to compensate for the different frame rates of video and film).

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
Motion jitter and stairstepping, jagged diagonal lines are something you will have to live with as long as you have an interlaced-only display. The solution for those artifacts is progressive scanning with 2:3 pulldown. As for the geometry issues, that's another service-menu task (many WEGA units have geometry problems).
Jack,
Thanks for the response.

I used to have a 8 year old Sony TV before I bought the Wega. That TV never used to have the motion blurring that I notice on the Wega.

For Geometry correction, do you know which Item in the service menu I need to alter? The Keohi site has no info on this.

Thanks in advance.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Your older Sony simply couldn't resolve the detail the more advanced WEGA can. Hence, you're seeing more detail.

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

DO you have any suggestions for correcting the geometry problem? The set is still under warranty. Should I be calling Sony to fix this?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I would suggest calling Sony's service number and asking them to send out an authorized tech to correct the geometry issues under warranty.

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jack. I made the call and a service person will come to my house for checking the set.

Quick Question: I had changed the service menu settings for fixing the anamorphic oversqueeze. Will it be a good idea to restore the original settings to avoid the service tech finding out that I had been in the service menu? I had carefully written down all the service menu values before I made the change so it is easy for me to restore.

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I called Sony for In-Warranty service. The service tech from Sony came to my house and told me that there was nothing he could do to fix the bent lines.

All he did was to go into the service menu and push the part of the picture that was distorted out of the screen. The end result is that part of the picture id cut-off. I could no longer see the scrolling news ticker in CNN in the bottom of the screen.

Luckily I had written down the prior values for that service menu item and restored it after he had gone. He had also made some adjustments to the VPIN and LPIN which helped somewhat. I kept those settings. Anyway, since I use it mainly to watch only letterboxed movies I am not bothered too much, but it is a pain watching cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks