What's new

Receiver to TV cables (1 Viewer)

Biba

Grip
Real Name
Biba
This being my first post I'll mention I have a pretty humble set-up - Onkyo TX-SR603X receiver; Onkyo DV-CP702 DVD player; Onkyo SKS-HT240 speakers; 27" Sony Wega.

My priorities are first FM, CD's, TV (no cable or satellite); watching DVD's.

I live and work in my shop restoring Alfas. The FM or CD's are on morning to night. This is my first set-up of this type, but it seemed logical to control everything from the receiver.

I've been setting up everything pretty much on a monkey see, monkey do basis.

I haven't done this yet since I have to order several of these cables because of length (all of which must be 20' long), but using the receiver to TV cables as an example - what does the S cable do? Since I have the attic antenna connected to the TV's coaxial input, apparently I need to get a splitter for the TV(correct?). Then I need a component cable along with an audio cable. And finally I need a single video cable for the Monitor Out to Video In (or does the S Video Out/In cable do that and this is just an option)? Is there really a good reason for this myriad assortment of wires/cables?

All that has been set-up, has been set-up 'loose', meaning anything can be changed. Should I be told I 'must' go directly from the DVD player for instance, please give me an idea of how much I'll gain or lose by the current set-up (sort of a stop me when I need glasses situation since I really want to control everything from the receiver unless this presents major problems).

I'm going to tag one last question to this in that the single (yes I set the reciever to know there is only one) rear surround speaker never comes on when playing CD's. Speaker works, I got a sound when doing automatic speaker set-up, but that is the last time. Comments?

Sorry to throw everything into the pot at one time, but any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Biba

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
ok. There are 5 different types of video cables. I haven't looked up your reciever so I'm not sure which it has. The lowest quality is composite. This is a single round jack that is usually yellow in color. The next in quality is S-video. This is a cable with 4 metal and 1 plastic pin. The next is component. This uses three round jacks, one red, green and blue. This is the highest quality analong video connection. There are two digital video connections DVI and HDMI. Both a comparable in quality. DVI is a white trapazoid jack about 1.24 inches wide, and HDMI is about 5/8s of an inch across with a lot of pins. You usually want to use the highest quality video connection that you have.

Having said that since you have a TV antenna, I would just run that into the back of the TV set bypassing the reciever. If you want the TV sound to be played through the receiver, you will need to have audio output jacks on the back of your TV and connect these to the receiver.

Hook up your FM antenna directly to the back of the receiver.

If your TV has component video hook up your DVD player to the back of the TV via component video. If you don't have component use Svideo. Since this is your only video source, there is no point running it through the reciever. It makes sense to run video through the receiver when you have multiple video sources, but not for one. In addition to teh video cable hook up the digital audo out on the back of the DVD player to your receiver. I don't know if you use your dvd player for cds of if you have a seperate cd changer. If you do, hook that up to the receiver as well.

As to the rear speaker, most CDs are stereo (2 channel), and will playback through just your main speakers, If your receiver has a DTS-ES or Dolby Prologic 2 setting this will make a "fake surround" out of your two channel sources and allow it to be played back through all speakers. A lot of receivers have other sopund modes like jazz, church, club, stadium, etc, but they usually sound like crap.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
If your first priority is FM what are you using for your fm reception? Your first question was adding a splitter. You can use your TV antenna for your FM reception as well as your TV reception as long as it is a UHF/VHF antenna. Splitting the singal before it enters the TV and take one to the Reciever and one to the TV. Not knowing the signal strength of your Antenna you may or may not loose some picture quality without a small amp, but a good quality 2 2 way splitter only has a loss of about 3.5db so if your signal is good enough the splitter won't affect your tv whatsoever.

The Specs on your dvd player are....
DVD Type Multi-disc DVD Player

Number of Discs 6

Progressive Scan With Progressive Scan

Playable Disk Types DVD Video • VCD • SVCD • DVD-R • DVD-RW • CD (Audio) • CD-R • CD-RW • Picture CD

Playable File Formats MP3 • WMA • JPEG
Video
TV Resolutions 480i • 480p

Video Output System NTSC

Video DAC 10 bit / 54 MHz

Video S/N Ratio 100 dB

Picture Control Contrast • Brightness • Saturation • Sharpness • Black Level • Zoom
Audio
Dynamic Range 95 dB (DVD) / 95 dB (Audio CD)

Surround Sound Dolby Digital (Digital out only) • DTS (Digital out only)

Dialog Enhancer Yes

Audio S/N Ratio 100 dB

Audio DAC 24 bit / 192 kHz
Connections
Outputs Analog Audio x 1, Digital Audio Coaxial x 1, Digital Audio Optical x 1, Composite x 1, S-Video x 1, Component x 1

Your DVD is Progressive Scan. Make sure in the menu that is turned on or switched on the back.

Your Vega should have Component inputs and as Adam mentioned that should be a direct connection to your TV (using componant cables) you have no other Video inputs and no reason to run any video switching through your receiver.

If you ever watch dvd's without your surround sound you will probably want to run the analog (red and white) to your TV as well. Connect the DVD player's Digital optical or Digital Coax to the Reciever.

Biba

Grip
Real Name
Biba
Wow guys, I'd checked back the first day, saw nothing and assumed my little piddly situation didn't warrant a reply. Thank you both very much for your helpful comments.

I'll start by saying that though the TV reception is somewhat iffy here (though considerably better with the attic installed antenna) FM reception is great with just the silly looking 'antenna' which came with the receiver.

I've now watched my first DVD (World's Fastest Indian) on the Sony and was knocked out, though a tad disappointed the rear surround speaker never made a peep - had the receiver set on 'All Channel Stereo'.

Not arguing the DVD player should go directly to the TV except it's main use is as a CD player and I'd also like to have the receiver's remote work everything - if possible.

I'm currently using both a set of component cables (out) and a S-video (out) cable from the receiver to the TV (redundant?).

Except for the lack of sound from the rear surround speakers, I'm pretty happy with the current set-up. However, I'm about to run all of the power, speaker, and TV cables through 1.5" gray (painted red) conduit so would like to make sure everything is connected as it should be to accomplish what I'm trying to achieve (without having to later move/remove).

If I can figure out how to do so I'm enclosing schematics of the Receiver to a TV and another for a DVD to the Sony TV. Note there is no 'digital in' cable connection on the TV but have one from the DVD to Receiver.

Please also note that neither of the DVD to TV schematics show the use of an S-video cable but do give two alternatives as to how to set it up.

I'm terribly confused as to whether I have it as good as it gets or if I need to move things around or (?).

Just found out I apparently have to create a page/URL on my website for the images/schematics. If you need them to clairfy things, I will do so.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If you follow the advice you have been given here in this thread you will. Its too hard to troubleshoot your connections as they currently are (not being able to see them), but both Steve and I have given our recommendations for how everything should be hooked up to get the maximum performance for the gear you have.

Biba

Grip
Real Name
Biba
Adam, again thanks much. A bit ago I switched the component video cables to go to the TV from the DVD player and as you already know, they work fine and of course it continues to work like a champ as a CD player.

So I should just pull the S-video cable from the receiver to the TV out completely or have it come directly from the DVD player to the TV? Since you didn't say the magic word I'll repeat, it is 'redundant' and not required? Wish my Onkyo receiver manual hadn't shown both in the schematic.

Hope you don't mind but sort of stole your ceiling/wall wiring shot to send to a friend claiming this was what was required to get the DVD hooked up to the TV (she's having trouble with hers). She was amused since she knew full well I wasn't serious. Looks like a very impressive set-up you have there. I gather you never plan on moving.

Now need to run all wires through my 1.5" conduit pipe. Will look like sewer pipe running across the floor.

Biba

Biba

Grip
Real Name
Biba
Nag, nag. Among numerous wires (from previous vintage non-surround sound set-up) I removed today I figured I might as well pull the S-video cable from the receiver to the TV since I was assured by my new best friend in life, Adam, it was redundant. After all the other redundant stuff was out of there, decided to check out a DVD. True, it was interesting in black and white, but not quite what I'd hoped for. Plugged in S-video cable from receiver to TV and, Voila!, I had color again.

On a minor note temporarily removed the coaxial from DVD player to receiver, and the sound went away. Strange way to send audio in my opinion.

Does anyone Really know how these things work? And why?

Biba

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Black and White... Interesting... sounds like you have the Green of the component video and are missing the red and blue. That's the only way you'd get a black and white picture. Adam IS Correct and the S-video is not needed. You are using the correct term when you say component video? (Green, Red, Blue) via YPbPr? and not Composite (yellow only)? If you do have all three (green, Red, and Blue Plugged into the DVD Player, The DVD Player is set to Progressive Scan, and you are still getting a Black and white picture then your Component Video Cables on the Blue and Red are Devective, or you have them plugged into the Audio inputs on the back of the TV. It's Easy to do given how they are marked. Make sure you have all three plugged into the correct plugs. Start with Green ( this will give you a Black and White Picture) Then add the Blue ( you will see the blues added) Then add the Red ( and Walla.. if they are all connected correctly you will have full color. The only reason you don't have color is you either have the wrong wires, bad wires, or just plugged them in wrong. Your comment on Adam was not necessary. By the way.. if anyone ever wants to watch a color movie in black and white that's the easiest way to do it! Just unplug your blue and red component wires!

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Amen
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Biba

Grip
Real Name
Biba
Adam, if my comments made it sound unappreciative, I certainly apologize. As it is, I feel very privileged for having two very informed members of this forum lending a hand.

I'm sure you both have figured out I have not a clue what each cable actually does, so now at least have a hint regarding the red and blue component cables. I'll also add that I'm certainly not sure if I have all cables connected in the optimum manner. This a.m. noticed I'd reconnected the optical cable cable from the DVD player to receiver to Out, rather than In. I just assumed that would resolve the B/W issue so pulled the S-video cable from the Receiver, and the movie was in B/W. Plugged it in again, and had color. Yes, all three component cables are firmly attached from DVD to TV and in the correct color combinations. I did try another set of component cable 'inputs' on the TV, but it was still in B/W if the S-video cable wasn't connected.

My thinking is it isn't any problem to keep it attached unless you feel otherwise.

I still do think it odd the audio portion from the DVD to Receiver is through the coaxial cable. Yup, might well have cables that either shouldn't be there, but...at this point all seem to be required.

In any event, thank you both very much for your inputs.

Biba

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I'm beginning the suspect the DVD Players Component output. Do you have another Component Video Source that you can try? You might just have a defective DVD Player. I wouldn't rule it out at this point. I'm hoping not a defective TV!.

Back to scratching my head on this one!

What's the Model on your VEGA?

Biba

Grip
Real Name
Biba
Steve, how could you even insinuate my $83 refurb DVD player could possibly have a defect? Yes, I'm of course kidding (but not about the price and refurb bit) and would be concerned if I couldn't have color DVD's at all. My VEGA is a KV-27FS1000 (which I'll add I bought used - hey, we're not all rich).

Since I'm about to run all the wires and cables through my (red) PVC conduit, which is still in separate sections, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't mind visiting http://www.alfacybersite.com/BibaHomeTheater.html and see if anything weird jumps out at you. Do keep in mind it would be no problem to pull something out, but a bear to add anything once it is all glued together.

Thanks again, Biba

erchavez

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
I'm getting in here a little late but I also have a Onkyo SR603X and I also have trouble with B/W pictures every now and then. I use to use S-video to go from my cable box to my receiver and then component cables from my receiver to TV. During that time I would occassionally get B/W tv until I turned the receiver off and then on again. Now I have a Hi Def cable box. When I tried component cables from the box to the receiver and again from the receiver to the tv I got "off color" on my tv. That is the colors just did not look right. Reds were greenish brown etc. I have since gone from the cable box to the tv and bypassed the receiver and have no problems. I never considered bad cables, I always thought it bad circuitry in the receiver. That upset me because my receiver is only 6 months old. Going directly from the cable box to the tv is doable but I like being able to switch from tv to dvd with one button rather than 2 or more. Not to mention I paid a lot of $ for this receiver I'd like to see it work!

I have been seaching the "net" for anyone else who has had this probelm and your the first I've found. I am going to try a new set of cables this afternoon. I hope they work! Thanks

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Since you are now running the DVD Directy to the TV Via the Component Cables...(well at least your tried and only got B/w) The S-Video that passes through the receiver is really nothing... (expect giving you color).. Do you have any friends/family that has a TV with Component Video inputs? Can you Take that DVD and your Component Cables there to Bench test the DVD Player and Cables? If it works there then that will prove the dvd player and cables are good and the TV bad... or vise versa.. . That way we can rule out the Component Output of the DVD and Rule out the Cables... I'm still suspecting the DVD Player right now....

Biba

Grip
Real Name
Biba
Steve, I'm not sure if you are addressing me or Randy in your latest post, but as mentioned I have $83 (less shipping) 'invested' in my DVD player and more than that in cables. As long as I can get consistent color by 'adding' the S-video cable (not saying it isn't a work-around) I'm fine. Randy, if getting new component cables doesn't work, why not give the S-video (from the receiver's Monitor Out) to the TV a shot? The SR603X manual does show this hook-up, though as you no doubt read, both Steve and Adam say it shouldn't be needed - and I'm not doubting their wisdom, just trying to get it resolved in the easiest (for me) way possible.

Trust me I'm not trying to turn around and try to sound like an expert but Adam earlier said, "Use this (digital cable) connection from the DVD player to the receiver. This should be the only cable linking the two." Except without analog cables from the DVD/CD player to the receiver, I can't get CD's to play on my Zone 2 speakers.

Biba

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Yes you need the Analog for Zone2 the Digital will only cover you Main zone. if you want DVD or Cd or any other source for that matter the Analog must be connected IN ADDITION to the digital.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Glad you got it up and running... That's what we're all here for!..

Guess that's the end of this thread!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks