No Video from VCR

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick Metzinger, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Nick Metzinger

Nick Metzinger Auditioning

Hello,

I have a med-low grade HT. I enjoy it almost everyday. I am hoping I can find the answer to my problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

I am trying to hook up a VCR to my system. It is for the kids to watch their videos. My primary use is DVD.

The receiver is Yamaha 5150. I have a basic Sony VCR. The TV is a 27" wega. I have the DVD-REC with s-video. The REC-TV with s-video. I can get sound, but no picture. I am using standard RCA from the VCR to the REC VCR inputs. It does not work on any of the other inputs, aux or sat. If I plug the VCR into the TV, it works fine. I don't understand why selecting VCR on the REC produces sound and no picture. If I did not give enough information, please tell me what is needed.

Regards,

Nick

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

High Nick. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    Your problem is simple: Your receiver does NOT convert one video type to another.
    If you send SVideo to the receiver from the DVD, you must then run a SVideo cable from the receiver to the TV to see these signals.
    You have this.
    But you are sending "Composite Video" (Single RCA cable) from the VCR to the receiver. The Receiver is NOT converting this to SVideo which is why your TV does not see any signal.
    There are 3 solutions to your problem:
    A) Go to Radio Shack and buy a little "Composite to SVideo converter" for about $20. Use this to convert the video from the VCR into SVideo and put this into the SVideo input for the VCR on the receiver. Now everything will work with SVideo.
    B) Run Composite video from the DVD player to the receiver, and a Composite video from the VCR to the receiver. Then Composite to the TV. Switch the DVD to send SVideo straight to the TV (assuming the DVD player is your only SVideo source).
    C)... too expensive
    Good Luck.

3. Nick Metzinger

Nick Metzinger Auditioning

I see said the blind man. I suspected something along those lines. It is great to hear it spelled out, thanks. BTW, I have been a member for over a year, but had to change my address and couldn't remeber my password. When ATT went down, there was no warning. I am not able to get any mail back for lost passwords. Such is life. I spent many hours reading post before building my system. I have had many hours of entertainment thanks to HTF.

Regards,

Nick