What's new

25 pin plug inputs for SACD or DVD-Audio (1 Viewer)

Dennis Jacob

Agent
The new Integra Research RDC-7 and DVD player use computer 25 pin plugs for their 7.1 and 5.1 analog inputs for SACD and DVD-Audio. This should be the best signal source and connection for the audio chain. It bothers me, that a company would use a 25 cent connector for these terminations. What are your opinions?

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
After personal experience with a rotel pre/pro that required use of a 25 pin, I don't like it. It may be better (i don't know), but it is unconventional and if you used another brand sacd or dvd-a that didn't use the 25 pin, it is a pain in the rear end to get a good quality 6 rca-->25 pin conversion, good thing I know a guy at monster who got one for me (they no longer make them). I have since gottin rid of that stuff. BTW, Rotels newest pre/pro doesn't use it anymore.
does your stuff have both 25 pin and rca jacks, if so, perhaps that is the way to go.

Dennis Jacob

Agent
I don't currently have that problem. But was looking at the Integra. After posting a request on cable asylum, I found that those 25 pin connectors are basically crap. Why spend all the money for a SACD or DVD-A and a pre/pro to put a 25 cent plug into the signal. Stupid, Stupid.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I formetly used an Onkyo 828 (with the same db25 connector) along with a Panasonic DVD A320 in the bedroom system which I still have laying around. In order to use it I had to make an adapter cable to go from RCA to the db25. It likely cost less than 6 RCAs and it easier to fit on the chassis. Onkyo made a companion DD decoder with the same connnectors. It makes some sense if the signal source devices have them but I have not seem them typically in such devices. There are upgraded cables that can be bought as well.

Dennis Jacob

Agent
I can have great cables made up by my cable man, but you still are sending the signal through that cheap computer 25 pin connector. And the pins and females are very light duty. They might be ok for digital signals, but analog signals? That's what concerns me. The SGHT didn't talk about this issue at all. In fact the review was pretty much fluff and very little detail. I'm concerned, and so far nobody has told me that it isn't a problem or issue.

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
I share these concerns about the RDC-7.
Has anybody given this any more thought since this thread was going around?
Anyone do any sound tests with SACD?
Thanks,
David

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My system has DB25 connectors for my DD decoder and my receiver 5.1 ins. It is an old skool THX standard connector. www.bettercables.com a forum sponsor can custom make these. I personally like the standard, I think it potentially could really clean up the cable mess behind most of our systems. I wish more people use it. I've never had a concern about the quality of the connection. It scres in and is solid IMO.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks